Should I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I brewed an AG stout today and under-shot my OG by .005 and I only got 65% efficiency.. I was supposed to get 1.059 but instead I got 1.054... Should I add DME or just let it ride? Beer calculus says it's predicted to finish at 1.015 with an ABV of 5.2%... That doesn't seem to bad to me if the FG actually gets down to that point.. What would you do?

Let it be. Sure it likely won't be as big as you originally planned. It will likely be a good beer though. 1.054 is a good starting gravity. It will probably finish lower than 1.015 I would imagine as well.

Thanks.. This is what I was thinking as well, but It's only my 3rd AG batch. I still tend to second guess things. From 5.9% abv down to 5.2% abv isn't much to worry about. I'm sure my brain cells will never notice the difference! :mug:

You brew with real grains now! Save the extract for yeast starters and just learn your system better. Get used to your efficiency, don't live to make it better. Grain is cheap.

I'll get it down eventually. I do BIAB and tonight I tried batch sparging. The last batch I did was "no sparge BIAB with a mash-out" and I got 83% efficiency.. I wanted to try different ways. I might just go back to the no sparge biab.. On a different note, I just cracked open my first bottle from my first AG batch and WOW is it good! It tastes just like fresh grain! It's only been conditioning for a week! AWESOME! :ban:

Back