Should I try to raise FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyforger

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a Czech pilsner right now. My force ferment test shows that the wort is way too fermentable - it went down to 1.008. My target was more like 1.016, double that. Guess I should have stirred my mash better before taking the temp - that or trusted my math more than my measurements. Anyways, just wondering what people think I should do with this. I'm inclined to just leave it rather than fiddle with it at the eleventh hour (the main batch is about 2/3 fermented), and it should be alright, just a bit drier with too much bitterness.

But if anyone knows a good way I could increase the unfermentable sugars or otherwise improve this situation, I'm all ears.

If nothing else, let this be a caveat: make sure to stir your mash far more than you think is necessary before taking the temperature. It will fool you otherwise.

I would leave it. The forced ferment usually goes farther than what the actual beer will get to. So maybe it'll be closer than what you expect. How did you perform the forced ferment?

That being said you could add some boiled & chilled maltodextrin powder.

After the fermentation was in full swing, I took out about 6oz of the fermenting beer and added some yeast from the top. Put it in a jar, fermented at about 75*F for five days or so, shaking/swirling about twice a day. So it should be down as far as possible. It's true that it may not get that far down in the main batch, but then I'd be concerned about longterm stability.

Maltodextrin is an option, but wouldn't that just add some body? That may be a good thing, but I'm not really sure.

I think a 1.008 Czech pils sounds about perfect! They are dry and crisp, with good hops flavor. I think you're on the right track. How does it taste? If it tastes bone dry then maybe you can try fixing it but I'd be inclined to leave it alone.

Well, it's not finished fermenting yet so I can't say. And the force-ferment sample was warm and oxidized, so not much to go on there. I'm chilling a bit to get a better idea.

I am probably going to leave it. It should be, as you say, dry and crisp; good for summer. Like a lighter German pils. It's just not very on-style; most czech lagers end with twice that much sugar.

edit: tried the chilled sample. It is pretty dry, but not unmanageable. If the main batch ends up a touch higher, it should be pretty good beer. If it ends up the same, it will be pretty decent.

Back