should I top off carboy ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howardbeach

Reaction score
I just racked my beer into secondary and came up short by about 1/2 gallon. Should I top it off with water or just leave it? If I top it off, can I use tap water or do I need to boil the water first? Also, what happens if yeast was pitched into wort that was still warm (problem with thermometer- OK problem with me reading the thermometer). Everything seems to have gone right (FG at 1.010 now) just much faster- fermentation essentially done in 24hrs? One day I'll look back at all these questions and laugh.
I also want to thank everyone who has patiently answered my questions

If you aren't worried about watering down the beer, you can boil tap water for 20 minutes to remove the oxygen, cool, and siphon into the secondary. I've done it with no ill effects. From what I've observed on here, most don't bother and go with whatever volume they have.

I would just go with the flow and leave it alone.

As for the temp, it fermented fine and you now have beer. Nothing you can do about it now.

Your call, 4.5 gallons of tasty brew, or 5 gallons of slightly more watery brew.... I always choose the smaller quantity of better quality. Though I've never tried the two side-by-side, so I could just be blowing smoke...

Back