Should I re-pitch? Long story as to what happened....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaylakejr

Reaction score
Here is the story...

I had a brewers best kit for a scotch ale. I decided to modify it based off of some recommendations that I found on the forums somewhere. The recipe looked like this:

3.3 Lbs Amber LME
3 Lbs Light DME
1 Lbs Amber DME
5 oz Crystal 60L
5 oz Chocolate Malt
5 oz Roasted Barley
5 oz Smoked Malt
1 oz Cascade Hops
1 oz Fuggles Hops
Lallemand Windsor Yeast

Brew day 2/7/12 went well, had an OG of 1.055. The next week I left for Kentucky where I was able to buy some oak staves used to make Makers Mark 46. On my way back home, I got a call from my family telling me my brother was stuck in Puerto Rico with a life threatening illness and they are not sure if he was going to make it. So I rushed to Puerto Rico with my wife. My brother had an illness called SJS\TEN (look it up if you're interested, it is a horrible condition). After a bit of a roller coaster he pulled through and is going to be all right. I arrive back home on 2/26/12 to a FREEZING cold house. I look at my temperature on the carboy and it says 50!! I figure since it was in there so long it should be close to done. I bottled another beer that was finished fermenting before I left and got ready to take a gravity reading of my scotch ale. Well I broke my hydrometer.... nice..... so I racked the scotch ale to my secondary over top of the oak staves without getting a gravity reading. Yesterday I picked up another hydrometer and took a reading and it said 1.025. Since I racked it on top of the oak I am wondering if I should get another pouch of Windsor yeast and re-pitch to try and get the gravity a little lower. I tasted it and it does taste a little sweet. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Glad to hear your brother is doing better. I would grab another pack of Windsor and toss about half of it in just to be sure it finishes. Windsor can be fickle and can be known for stalling especially at that low of a temp.

Ok thanks, I will do that. Do you think it would be alright with the wood staves in there or should I transfer to another carboy off of the wood to finish it up?

Depends on how long you planned on leaving it on the wood. It should only take the yeast 3-5 days to do their thing, so if that is within the time frame you had already planned on letting it sit with the wood, I wouldn't worry about transferring it.

Latest posts

Back