Should I pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyOTG

Reaction score
Well, I started a 5 gallon batch of cider with an OG of 1.104 and ideally I would like to get it down to at least 1.02. Nutrient was added, and I used Nottingham originally. It has been actively fermenting for 12 days at 61° and the air lock has slowed down to one bubble every 5 to 6 seconds for the past two days. It is now at 1.035. My questions are, at its current rate at fermentation, does the Notty have a chance of getting to 1.02? If not, should I wait until fermentation finishes to add a champagne yeast? Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

It's possible nottingham could eek out a few more points, but it sounds like it might have reached it's limits now. (around 10% abv)

If you add a champagne yeast, be prepared to let it ferment all the way dry and you will end up with...well...wine/champagne. It's probably going to need to time to take the heat out of the high ABV and bring the apple flavor back around.

It's like 94%+/- attenuation, which is what I'd suspect from nottingham.
In your case, you have no chance of seeing 1.020. In my case, SG was 1.060 and I saw 1.000 making my attenuation about 95%, which is again what I suspected.

Does your cider taste sweet? Do you intend to add champagne yeast because you want a dry cider? If you have a nice cider that is mildly sweet and finished, I would bottle that bad boy and not have to worry about back sweetening or anything.

Here is the yeast fact sheet.
http://www.homebrewit.com/Nottingham_facts.pdf

Just tried it. I think I might go with it as is. I'm pretty happy with the taste. It kept all of the apple flavor and smell and I still wound up with the higher abv that I was looking for. For being my first batch ever, I'm thrilled with the result. Thanks to everybody here for all of their patience with this newb, and all of the great advice!!

It's a little sweeter than I was originally shooting for, but I like a sweet cider. It's definitely close enough for me.

Back