Should I expect the worse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
Brewed an IIPA around 20 hrs ago and currently the airlock is bubbling at a nice steady pace but not rapid by any means, I have to go out of town today for six days and am wondering if I should attach an blowoff tube? I pitched a 1/3 gallon (1046 OG) starter of Wyeast 1056 that I let get going for around 24 hours before pitching it. The OG on the IIPA was 1087 and I did add some FermCap in the boil (great stuff use it every brew), my brew closet holds a consistent 70F this time of year. Do you guys think I am completely screwed if I don't put on a blow off tube?

Do you have a blow-off tube? Why not use it? I agree it will probably be okay, but if you're worried, throw it on. If you don't have one, RDWHAHB. In fact, RDWHAHB anyway.

I always run a blow off tube, its when I don't plan on the accident that I have one

i only have problems when i pitch on a cake and its a pretty big beer. i did not pitch on a cake this time but ive also never brewed this big of a beer. im already out of town so it doesnt matter at this point just a matter of whether or not SWMBO calls me pissed off about beer all over the spare bedroom and closet! just trying to get some peace of mind i guess?

RDWHAHB is mantra among homebrewers. It's from Charlie Papazian's original homebrewing book. It's advice for whenever you're stressing or anxious over your beer: "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!"

Latest posts

Back