Philly sour - NO LAG time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_another_drunkard_666

Reaction score
So I brewed up a gose yesterday
(4 lbs pilsner, 4 lbs white wheat malt), at 0 added lime peels, orange peels and coriandre, salt. Chilled to about 70, pitched a single pack philly sour (which i am gather now may have been an under pitch?) and threw it into my fermentation chamber set at 75.
OG 1.043

Fermenting in a corny keg, tube from gas in post to a jar of sanitizer. Fully expected the typical 2-3 day lag time everyone encounters with this yeast, i would say 5 hrs after pitching i have bubblin in my blowoff. Not going crazy but regular intervals ... huh? Is this abnormal?

I will note, sheepishly, that apart from washing the fruit prior to peeling i didnt do anything such as vodka or wtv to mitigate the risk of wild yeast. It all hung out at 210ish temperature for 10 -15 before chilling while i did some ****, i figured it would be enough to kill anything off.

You might have some off gassing due to the difference in chill temperature and fermentation temperature. And there might be some CO2 production, but I don't think you'll see any kräusen or anything this early. That usually takes three to four days in my experience.

Adding stuff at flame out kills pretty much anything that can do harm to your beer. You won't have to worry at all.

Last edited:
You might have some off gassing due to the difference in chill temperature and fermentation temperature. And there might be some CO2 production, but I don't you'll see any kräusen or anything this early. That usually takes three to four days in my experience.

Adding stuff at flame out kills pretty much anything that can do harm to your beer. You won't have to worry at all.
Thanks for the reassurement

Back