Should I expect Oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mawa

Reaction score
Hey brewers!

Last wedsnday I kegged for the third time (House Pale Ale v 3.0). The first 2 times everything went well and the beer was very drinkable.

this time I poured the beer from the carboy to the Keg using my autosiphon; for some reason i didn't get the full 5 gallons, maybe i got 4.5 maybe a little less so there was considerable head space in the keg. The thing is that I connected the CO2, set the pressure to 30 psi, shaked, repeated 4 times and then put my keg in the fridge at 40 F but I forgot to purge the air from the keg. Do you think I'll get oxidation? Is there anything I can do now?

Mawa

I think it was once Quoted...Shake a baby not your beer!

Sick and wrong, but makes a good point. DON"T SHAKE YOUR BEER!

Now I am assuming you mean you siphoned your beer...not poured it. If that is the case, and you purged the keg (do it now if you haven't)...you'll be fine. Chances are good you'll be fine anyway.

You're right, I siphoned the beer

This time I shaked the beer as an experiment, like I said, it's only my third time kegging and I want to learn everything i can! But now I know what i shouldn't do!

Now that i'm here asking questions, let me shoot again:

Once that i put the keg in the fridge, I cannot have it connected to my CO2 tank. In this case how many PSI should I apply to my keg before putting in the fridge? How many times and how often should i do this?

Back