Should I expect Bottle Bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RushN24

Reaction score
Ok so I've brewed my first batch of beer, obviously I am very excited and can't wait to have a good finished product so I am rushing things a bit I'll be honest, but this is just so I can have something to drink while I take my time with the next batch...

Anyway here's the problem FG came in a little higher than expected at 1.018 instead of the predicted 1.012-1.014, I measures it 3 consecutive days it was consistent so I bottled with 4.8oz dextrose per 5 gallons (slightly less than the 5oz it came with because I'm a nervous noob). I bottled on Jan 18 and today is only the 21st and of course I couldn't wait so I popped one in the freezer for 30 mins to chill and poured a glass. I didn't care if it was going to be flat. What surprised me though is the beer was fairly carbonated already after 3 days...not a big head but some head nonetheless, slight lacing and I definitely burped up some gas when I finished it. How could the beer be this carbonated after 3 days? The beer was also cloudy at bottling but cleared rather nicely in the bottles. Should I expect bottle bombs or am I just being a nervous noob? Thanks in advance I hope revvy doesn't chastise me for this.

PS I am really impressed with how tasty it turned out for a first batch, brewing is my new LIFE hobby!

It will get better with time, read Revy's post on bottle conditioning and you get the answers you seek

Watch this and maybe learn something:

On another note, don't pour in the whole beer. I'm sure the yeast hasn't settled yet, but in the future, leave about .5 inches of the beer in the glass as to ensure you don't pour in the yeast. As you should see in the beginning of the video, the beer wasn't carbonated.. it just seemed like it was. It was just the co2 trapped in the top of the bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks for suggestions I actually saw this video but I'm going to watch it again anyway, my beer definitely didn't have a head like that and it didn't taste flat it tasted carbonated. It just struck me as odd that after only 3 days in the bottle. Oh and I would never pour the yeast into my glass do people actually do that? I thought it was common knowledge not to unless oddly enough you like the taste.

Either way I guess I'm just worrying for no reason, I just wouldn't want exploding bottles in my closet in the middle of the night. But that's what us noobs do we worry because we don't know what to expect. Thanks again!

as long as you were at 1.018 for 3 days running, and used the proper amount of priming sugar, you should have nothing to fear.

Thanks guys for the reassurance, It definitely helps to ease the uncertainties I have, but I'm just going to take C.P.'s advice and relax and have a home brew! I'll put up some beer pr0n as soon as I can!

Back