Should I enter this as a Blond Ale (18A) or a Kölsch (5B) BJCP?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can you enter a Kolsch with Wyeast 1007? Recipe below is for a 12 gallon batch.

This particular beer is brilliantly clear and very lager like, but with a touch of fruitiness from the yeast and hops. Super easy drinking, refreshing and delicious! Kind of tastes like lipton iced tea, but in a good way.

It is very well attenuated, but I feel like the malt character is more similar to a helles than most commercial versions of Kolsch I have tried. (Maybe I've never had a truly fresh Kolsch though?)

I'm afraid I could get dinged for too much malt presence in the Kolsch category, although the guidlines say "May have a malty-sweet impression at the start, but this is not required."

The OG is also slightly above the recomended guidelines for a kolsch.

http://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/18/18A/blonde-ale/
http://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/5/5B/kolsch/

--------------------------------------------------------------

Krazy Amazing Lagerale

All Grain Recipe

Batch Size: 13.50 gal
Color: 3.3 SRM Equipment: Brahery
Bitterness: 25.7 IBUs Boil Time: 90 min
OG: 1.052 FG: 1.009 ABV: 5.7%

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
19.63 gal New York, NY Water 1
1.00 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min) Misc 2
0.50 tsp Calcium Chloride (Boil 90 min) Misc 7

19 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5
8.96 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 6

1.50 oz Magnum [11.8%] - Boil 60 min Hops 8

8.00 oz Saphir [3.3%] - Steep 5 min Hops 11

German Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1007)

Last edited:
Belgian basemalt with blonde specialty grains and german ale yeast. Hmm... if it's clear and has that nice german/kolsch smell i'd enter it as a kolsch. If it's not clear and doesn't have the kolsch vibe I'd go the blonde route.

However, I do like the suggestion to enter it in both categories and see how it does.

I know a brewery that’s won a few significant competitions for their Vienna lager that uses English Malts and English Ale yeast fermented cold.

20200109_163009.jpg
Belgian basemalt with blonde specialty grains and german ale yeast. Hmm... if it's clear and has that nice german/kolsch smell i'd enter it as a kolsch. If it's not clear and doesn't have the kolsch vibe I'd go the blonde route.

However, I do like the suggestion to enter it in both categories and see how it does.

Here's a pic of it in a kolsch glass. I used biofine clear on it so its looking pretty brilliant.

I'm gonna enter it in both. Lets see how it does

You have already got some great answers and I see you are entering in both. That seems like a great plan. I can't help you with styles, but if it's in style I would always enter in the one I thought I had the best chance to win. In any competition where the object is to win start with winning and work backwards. Best of luck!

You have already got some great answers and I see you are entering in both. That seems like a great plan. I can't help you with styles, but if it's in style I would always enter in the one I thought I had the best chance to win. In any competition where the object is to win start with winning and work backwards. Best of luck!

I guess I never really brew with competitions in mind. Usually I end up seeing if what's still around at the time of comp will work

Maybe next year I'll plan ahead. I really only brew in warmer months since i brew outdoors. Most competitions in my area happen during my off brewing season.

I don't enter competitions but I read and listen to Podcast related to that for brewing tips. One idea I hear from winners is that they keep the beer cold from right after fermentation and on. If I am correct one winner actually sends his beers into competitions with dry ice to keep it cold. He said jamil has a walk in and keeps beer cold for years, some he even puts in competition. One podcast that may help is called going for gold iirc with 2x nhc winner. Its on experimental brewing, but its not their main podcast, I think its called drews files or something.

I don't enter competitions but I read and listen to Podcast related to that for brewing tips. One idea I hear from winners is that they keep the beer cold from right after fermentation and on. If I am correct one winner actually sends his beers into competitions with dry ice to keep it cold. He said jamil has a walk in and keeps beer cold for years, some he even puts in competition. One podcast that may help is called going for gold iirc with 2x nhc winner. Its on experimental brewing, but its not their main podcast, I think its called drews files or something.

I'm going to bottle from the keg the last day they accept entries to be dropped off. Making sure its as fresh as possible.

I recently picked up one of these to counterpressure fill and purge with co2 directly from tap

Ended up doing better as a blonde ale, go figure.

Great scores considering I kegged the beer 3 months ago. Last year I got a ribbon and scored a 34. So guess there was some stiff competition this year

results.png

Latest posts

Back