should I do sour mash for Berliner weisse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
I will use WLP630 Berliner Weisse for this batch and Im wondering if I should do sour mash. I've never done this so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I've used WLP630 and didn't do a sour Mash and had good results. I did a decoction Mash and no boil for the Berliner Weisse.

did you let it aged in the secondary? Id like to get quick result

Ive also been told not to do starters for Berliner Weisse. Is this true?

For a quick result, you probably should use a different yeast. But you can always use the WLP630 this time and taste it along the way. I wouldn't rack to a secondary for this beer.

If you're brewing to style, then you won't need to do a starter because a vial should be more than enough cells for the gravity of wort you'll be fermenting.

Correct. I suspect he vial has a high percentage of lactobacillus, and very little yeast. The reason is to allow the lacto a couple of days to work before the yeast starts Once the yeast starts creating alcohol the lacto will slow down, and it could take months to get much sourness.

It you make a starter, the yeast will be dominant when you pitch it giving you zero chance of a quick souring beer.

I've read varying results using these BW mixes. Some people have been happy with them, but for the most part, the comments I have read is that people have been under-whelmed (maybe more people with dissapointing results comment on them).

I sour with a lacto strain and then add my yeast when it is sufficiently sour. Mine take about 2 weeks to the bottle, and drinking in 4.

Pitched the WLP630 Sept. 12. Bottled January 2 to 4 volumes. 1.032 OG. So yeah I wouldn't call this a quick method. I have also done a version with us05 and wyeast 5335 lactobacillus pitched together with decent results but I preferred the white labs blend.

I've done sour mash BIAB with raw grain, mash then add a handful of raw grain after cooling to 120ish, maintain 100-110 with a heating pad under kettle for 24-36 hours (longer if you like really sour) then boiled and pitched US-05 and ended up with a good Berliner Weisse in another 3-4 weeks. There are a bunch of threads describing this method on here.

Back