Should I do a lambic mead with cherries or juniper berries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
Okay, I want to make a sparkling mead with lambic yeast. How do you think this would taste (gallon batch)?

1.10 kg clover honey (1.100 SG)
Hops to 33 IBU
1/2 oz Juniper Berries (all I have)
Lambic Yeast

I just have the juniper berries laying around, I'm not sure if they would taste good in it. Should I go the more traditional route with cherries or something? I'm not sure how the pininess from the juniper and the sourness of the lambic would taste together :/

Lambic yeast requires starch and maltose to fully develop "lambic" flavors and sourness. You need to have, at least, a small portion of starch and malt derived fermentables for the bacteria and brett in the blend to create sourness. I don't know how mead with lambic yeast would taste but my suggestion would be to make a "lambic" and blend that with the mead, rather than using the yeast blend for primary fermentation.

Iordz said:
Lambic yeast requires starch and maltose to fully develop "lambic" flavors and sourness. You need to have, at least, a small portion of starch and malt derived fermentables for the bacteria and brett in the blend to create sourness. I don't know how mead with lambic yeast would taste but my suggestion would be to make a "lambic" and blend that with the mead, rather than using the yeast blend for primary fermentation.

Or make a lambic and sub some of the fermentables for honey.

Hey, I just hydrometered it and it's just under 1.000 . So there was no need to do a braggot. I just used Clover Honey from AHS, Yeast Nutrient, a touch of hops and Wyeast Lambic Blend, so it's definately possible to do this.

Back