Should I buy a starter kit or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeGeeBee

Reaction score
For someone who only has a burner, empty bottles and 10gal kettle, are the starter kits really a savings? Most packaged starter kits relative to hobby starters are a collection of generic low quality products. Is the same true for the homebrew kits found on AHB, NB and Midwest? Should I just build my setup with individual, hand picked pieces?

No, I would just get the kit. You may not save much, but it is all quality material. Everything I got with my kit (from Midwest) is still lugging along after 2+ years.

Aside from spending big bucks on conical fermenters or the extra few bucks on stainless auto siphons what you get in the kits is basically what the rest of us use on a regular basis.

hey, at least you got a 10 gal kettle, it took me a while to get to that point. you'll be very happy you can do full boils. i would agree about getting a kit, it's got everything you need besides what you have. and definitely get the auto siphon upgrade. i got my kit from midwest via ebay about a year ago for like 80 or 90 bucks.

Agreed. Just get the starter kit that will help you get all of the needed supplies. If you don't do it this way, you may just forget to get some of the essentials such as a hydrometer or bottle filler. The starter kits are cheap and cover everything. Must be nice to be starting out with a 10 gallon kettle!

in terms of a kettle....if you have a little extra cash and space, get a turkey fryer...

I tried to do it on the cheap(BREWING) and tried to piecemeal a kit together,that was a mistake,the kits come with everything and some even have beer kits too.I spent more on shipping because i needed this or that.There are some great deals out there,i would have bought a coopers kit, or one with a 6.5 better bottle,you also get a bottling bucket w/spigot.I had to assemble mine.......get a deluxe kit it will make brewing more fun.

The kits are a standard. Some of the things you don't need if you are going to keg right away, but there aren't many who go that route. As cheeseshark said, you will eventually find a use for the stuff.

Brewster Brown Deluxe Starter Kit

About the best price I've found. Also, they have immersion chillers for under $30. Can't speak to the quality of their stuff, but seem to be about the same as anyone else.

Back