Should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigB

Reaction score
So I made an Oatmeal Stout and pitched Wyeast 1335, when I smacked the smack pack I guess I hit it harder that anticipated and it popped a little hole in the package. Anyway, I taped it up hoping that would be ok but it didn't puff up like normal. At the end of brew day I pitched into my carboy, and gave it a little shake. I normally splash the heck out of it when I transfer from my kettle to the fermenter. Well 36 hours later, there is 0 activity in the fermenter. I tell my self to RDWHAHB but I'm starting to get concerned. If nothing happens after 48 hours should I consider re-pitching with a new pack?

So I made an Oatmeal Stout and pitched Wyeast 1335, when I smacked the smack pack I guess I hit it harder that anticipated and it popped a little hole in the package. Anyway, I taped it up hoping that would be ok but it didn't puff up like normal.

The lack of expansion could be due to dud yeast. Or it could be due to the tape not fully sealing the pack. How confident are you in your tape job? One thing we can say for sure is that poking a hole in the package didn't harm the yeast.

Well 36 hours later, there is 0 activity in the fermenter. I tell my self to RDWHAHB but I'm starting to get concerned. If nothing happens after 48 hours should I consider re-pitching with a new pack?

How are you determining "0 actvity?"

There are several of questions that come to mind. How old was the pack? What is the OG of the Stout? How was the pack stored prior to use?

I always make a starter when using liquid yeast. IMO, for anything over 1.040 I would make a starter to be sure I am pitching enough healthy cells. Anything over 1.060 will require more yeast than what is contained in a Smack Pack

Smack Packs do not always swell. That in itself does not mean the yeast is bad. Though it should swell some.

In answer, I would say that at 48 hours - yes, pitch more yeast.

The lack of expansion could be due to dud yeast. Or it could be due to the tape not fully sealing the pack. How confident are you in your tape job? One thing we can say for sure is that poking a hole in the package didn't harm the yeast.

How are you determining "0 actvity?"

By 0 activity, I can't really see the sides as it's in a chest freezer but there is no Krausen forming at all.

There are several of questions that come to mind. How old was the pack? What is the OG of the Stout? How was the pack stored prior to use?

I always make a starter when using liquid yeast. IMO, for anything over 1.040 I would make a starter to be sure I am pitching enough healthy cells. Anything over 1.060 will require more yeast than what is contained in a Smack Pack

Smack Packs do not always swell. That in itself does not mean the yeast is bad. Though it should swell some.

In answer, I would say that at 48 hours - yes, pitch more yeast.
The OG was 1.062 and the pack was fairly new but I don't know the date. The homebrew shop is good at keeping stuff fresh and it was bought the week before brew day. It was stored in the fridge as soon as I got home. I'm going to be looking at getting a stir plate to make starters but I don't have one as of yet

By 0 activity, I can't really see the sides as it's in a chest freezer but there is no Krausen forming at all.

Well, if you can actually see the krausen (or lack of), and you're sure it hasn't already formed and fallen (e.g. a fast (probably warm) fermentation), I'd start thinking about pitching more yeast. OTOH, the amount of yeast pitched was arguably an under pitch, so I wouldn't be too fast to pull the trigger. What's the ambient temperature?

Well, if you can actually see the krausen (or lack of), and you're sure it hasn't already formed and fallen (e.g. a fast (probably warm) fermentation), I'd start thinking about pitching more yeast. OTOH, the amount of yeast pitched was arguably an under pitch, so I wouldn't be too fast to pull the trigger. What's the ambient temperature?
I've got my fridge set at 17.5C. So you're saying I should wait a little while longer before pitching more?

I've got my fridge set at 17.5C. So you're saying I should wait a little while longer before pitching more?

At 17.5C (63.5F), and low pitch rate, I'd expect a slow start. That's probably a great ambient temp once fermentation starts, since the wort/beer will be a few degrees warmer. So, yes, I'd probably wait a bit longer. I might also bump the temp up a bit and then back it down once fermentation is evident.

Can you get another yeast pack of the same and soon, just in case the pitched yeast proves to be a dud?

If you don't have a stir plate, you can make a shaken-not stirred starter with it to prove and improve viability and either pitch that tomorrow if still needed, or save for a next brew.

Can you get another yeast pack of the same and soon, just in case the pitched yeast proves to be a dud?

If you don't have a stir plate, you can make a shaken-not stirred starter with it to prove and improve viability and either pitch that tomorrow if still needed, or save for a next brew.
I wouldn't be able to get to the store till Monday. I've been wanting to get a stir plate and flask for a while, they are cheap so I think I'll pull the trigger next payday

I wouldn't be able to get to the store till Monday. I've been wanting to get a stir plate and flask for a while, they are cheap so I think I'll pull the trigger next payday
Hopefully she has taken off by then. I'd definitely warm her up a few degrees. But check for krausen forming (foam) first.

You can build a decent stir plate for under $10.
Or follow the shaken-not stirred method. You only need a gallon jug with screw lid for that. And shake it as often as you can, creating as much foam as possible.

Hopefully she has taken off by then. I'd definitely warm her up a few degrees. But check for krausen forming (foam) first.

You can build a decent stir plate for under $10.
Or follow the shaken-not stirred method. You only need a gallon jug with screw lid for that. And shake it as often as you can, creating as much foam as possible.
I assume you can find build threads on here for stir plates?

I assume you can find build threads on here for stir plates?

Another option is the StirsStarters guy. $42 for one, with a lifetime warranty. I've been using one for over 10 years now and it's still going strong.

But you might be able to build one cheaper, particularly if you can salvage some parts, e.g. an old computer fan, for free.

Latest posts

Back