should i be concerned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
Reference is made to that certain thread, as of yesterday, demonstrating without question that your OP (here and there) is a complete idiot.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/i-am-idiot-311211/

Anyone willing to waste their time, would you mind looking at this and telling me if you think I should be worried? The freakin' thing is like, well, I imagine the Fukushima power plant looked something like this....

(Sorry if the video is sideways. I have Droid and it's the biggest piece of shiiit I ever purchased.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't play the video on my netbook, but it looks just from the picture as a very active fermentation?

Check the temperature, to make sure it's under 70 degrees or so as very active fermentations can get hot, and a "hot" fermentation can cause some off-flavors. But otherwise, it'll be ok. Can you rig up a blow off tube to make sure the fermenter doesn't blow?

it's about to blow out. if you have a blow-off tube (and my guess is no), use it. otherwise, put it in a tub and in a place where if it blows the airlock out and spews it won't matter too much. it may not spew; i've had some like that that get close, and don't, but it might

You should be a little concerned. Clean up all the liquid on the lid with a sanitized solution. Remove the existing airlock and replace with a blowoff tube. Most likely you are fine...isn't it amazing to watch the little yeasties at work?

You should be a little concerned. Clean up all the liquid on the lid with a sanitized solution. Remove the existing airlock and replace with a blowoff tube. Most likely you are fine...isn't it amazing to watch the little yeasties at work?

Oh, and a little helpful hint- when you pull off the airlock, don't just pull it right off. No one else will tell you this :)D) but you want to take it off VERY slowly and let the build up off slowly.

Unless, you WANT to pull the airlock off and watch it shoot like champagne up to your ceiling, that is. (Ask me how I know).

Anyway, grab your siphoning tubing and sanitize it. It should fit on your airlock after you take the "float" off. If not, just stick it in the bucket hole. Put the other end in a pitcher of water with some sanitizer in it, on the floor. That's a small blow off tube, but it should save your ass.

the tube on your racking cane is your best option if you have nothing else... put the sanitized tube in your rubber gromet about a half inch and into a bottle of sanitizer first, then worry about the mess..

Yeah it just looks like a really active fermentation. Does your brewsheet say you forgot to add the hops?

You should not be concerned at all! You have very active fermentation happening. I would consider getting a blow off tube though and run it from the air lock into a mason jar or container full of water.

No sense in calling yourself an idiot. There is much to learn with brewing. Not everyone's first beers turn out well, and not every new beer you brew will turn out perfectly.

Agreed - if it's under 70 you should be fine. At this point, everything is going out and away from the wort. Just rig up a blow off as yooper mentioned if you can and keep an eye on it.

Oh, and a little helpful hint- when you pull off the airlock, don't just pull it right off. No one else will tell you this :)D) but you want to take it off VERY slowly and let the build up off slowly.

Yooper is just messing with you there. The proper way is to yank the airlock off violently with your face right next to it to make sure you can see if anything is wrong. ;)

One concern is the small hole the airlock goes in. if it gets clogged with hops or krausen, pressue could build and blow the top off and make quite a mess.

On solution would be to lossen you lid (after relieving pressure through the hole) and just set the lid on top. Don't snap it down tight. That way any overflow just runs down the side of the bucket. Oh, and put bucket in sink or tub or something to conatain any spillage.

Yooper is just messing with you there. The proper way is to yank the airlock off violently with your face right next to it to make sure you can see if anything is wrong. ;)

Oh, no, I'm NOT falling for that one again. Fool me once, shame on you. After the tenth time, I think I'm on to your little games now. :p

Wow, thanks, guys. What a great forum this is!

Anyway, so... I had some extra tubing and whatnot. Do ya think this will help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf50I3WsBds&feature=youtu.be

And yeah, I forgot the hops. Like I said, I'm an idiot. If you read the linked thread, you'll see. I managed to put a "hop tea" in at the last minute, maybe it will help. Basically, I've written this batch off as a lesson, but I can't bring myself to dump it. I reckon if it doesn't 'splode, I'll bottle it and see what happens.

Sigh...

FWIW, I now begin all my fermentations with the bucket lid covering the top, but not actually latched down. As long as it's covered, I don't fear any contamination (bacteria and wild yeast don't crawl up and into the fermenter). And this way I do not build up any pressure and never run into this issue. Once I'm past high krausen, I snap the lid down and proceed "as normal".

Back