Should I add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micfiygd

Reaction score
So this was my first batch where I had dry yeast.

I brewed on thursday and it has already stopped bubbling.

I'm just not sure whether I did not properly rehydrate the yeast (VERY possible) or if it just got the job done quickly because it is a few degrees above preferred temperature.

I'm just concerned because I never saw the fermentation going very vigorously, it was going quite slowly for the few days that it was, and now it has stopped.

So my question is should I add more yeast, and if I do, will the extra yeast have an affect on my beer?

EDIT: The yeast was saf 04 and i went on their website and saw that they said to sprinkle it on the wort, let it sit, then stir it in. I then later did more research and found out that this was not the best thing to do.

You have to ask yourself "Self, has fermentation stopped?" Your answer should be "I don't know, the bubbles have stopped, let me check the gravity with a hydrometer"

So has fermentation stopped? What temperature are you fermenting at?
You cant judge fermentation by bubbles. My suggestion would be to check the gravity, if it's not where you want it, shake the yeast up and try to get them active. If you've been fermenting at the low end of the scale for US-05; bump the temperature up a bit. I would not add more yeast. I know sprinkling it on top is not ideal, but many have had success with that process. Fermentation time is not set at the factory. If the gravity is close(or if you're okay where it's at) let it sit until the last weekend of August then get it in a keg or bottles. After that start a new batch for the fall.

check with a hydormeter, provided you took a reading before you added your yeast.
if not....leave it alone...if it was fermenting it will be fine.
i get nervous also.
the yeast know what to do.

Pitching like you did is just fine. It is most likely not done yet but is fermenting much slower now. This is totally normal. I've had some batches finish visual bubbling of the airlock in 24 hrs

The last amber ale that I did was done in 1.5 days of bubbling. Check your readings with a hydrometer though. I posted the same question out here and ended up getting the same answer. Bubbling doesn't indicate that it's over; that's just a way for the CO2 to escape. You'll know if you get the same reading after 3 days straight.

+1. The airlock is just a check valve to vent excess co2. Your hydrometer knows the real answer. I pitched on my English bitter Saturday,& the bubbling is slowing down already this morning. That just tells me initial fermentation is about over. Then the slow haul down to FG. That part is always rather uneventful. It leads new brewers to believe something's wrong. But no,everything's fine,it's completely normal.

Latest posts

Back