Shot way past expected FG... hummm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuchoGusto

Reaction score
Started the Texas Bock mini-mash from AHS 2 weeks ago. Everything by the book. The recipe projected an OG of 1.045. I hit it right on the mark. Pitched WLP833 German Bock with an attenuation rate of 70 - 76%. No starter. Recipe projected a FG of 1.012. I hit 1.005. Both SG's taken at room temp. Once fermentation began at 72 degrees I cooled it down slowly over a day to 52-53 degrees and held it there for 11 days in my converted frig. Raised the temp slowly over a day to 68 degrees and held it there for 2 days. Transferred to secondary and took a SG reading. 1.005, as I said. That translates into an attenuation rate of appx. 88%

White Labs projects 70-76%. 1) How accurate is their prediction? 2) Any ideas as to the lower FG than expected. I can read a hydrometer as I hold a biology degree so we can rule out that concern. The stuff smells great... pretty strong alcohol taste, though.

Attenuation rate is an average, not firm boundries. Every fermentation is different.

The only real effects of your low FG is that the beer is going to have a bit more ABV and a bit thinner, dryer body, which will probably be a good thing in the Bock style.

Enjoy the final product, it is going to be fine!

My experience with that kit is almost exact. I made the ag kit and sg was about 1.042, fg at 1.002. Still smells and tastes good. Can't wait until I can carb it up and try the final product. I think we'll be ok.

Side note, my sg came in a bit lower due to me being stubborn and adding a bit more water pre boil so i could pull a bit higher from my kettle and leave more trub behind.

Back