Shorts Brewing 2016 Release Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come home from work and my wife had a case sitting on the table!!!:eek:

Seen they are three weeks old already so i poured two. Drinking great but ill be downing theae quick! Its like a two hearted with a little kick. Love it but damn does it pale in comparison to draft hopstache! That stuff is crazy delicious!

Drinking some ocho after work and damn is this o e good too! Melt my brain, beard, ocho, hopstache and then freedom to top it off? I can dig it!

Still no variety pack around here though.. thats gotta be pushing three months old right?

Drinking some ocho after work and damn is this o e good too! Melt my brain, beard, ocho, hopstache and then freedom to top it off? I can dig it!

Still no variety pack around here though.. thats gotta be pushing three months old right?
saw it yesterday for the first time, forgot to check the date. assuming old as **** though. wouldn't have bought it anyways unless costco has it for like 16 bucks.

Found one at meijers for like $15 something so i bought it.. and to my surprise they were all just at two months or under! Had the pilsner and thought it was great! ill report back with the rest when i have them tonight.

variety pack is solid all around.. no regrets!

just picked up 10 day old (ha ha) citra locals from bush and boy is this stuff awesome! big improvement with the citra!

Any solid bottle shops in Traverse City? I'll be up for a week mid July visiting my parents as I do every year. Usually just hit 7 Monks, etc, but looking for a nice selection of things to take out golfing.

Any solid bottle shops in Traverse City? I'll be up for a week mid July visiting my parents as I do every year. Usually just hit 7 Monks, etc, but looking for a nice selection of things to take out golfing.
Usually hit the Beverage Company and feel good about myself when I walk out.

What MarcatGSB said.

I'll add that Tilly's and Burritt's both occasionally have hidden gems. If you go to Burritt's, ask for Shawn and tell him Aaron from Indy sent you. And if you go to Tilly's, ask for Tiffany and tell her the same.

Another Private Stache is on the way...

Hi-Dilly-Ho is a Flanders Red released as a part of Short’s Private Stache series. This beer is complex with aromas reminiscent of cherry, currant, and oak. Its flavors range from fruit to red wine to subtle malt. Hi-Dilly-Ho is medium-bodied with a moderate acidity and a dry finish.

To be released June 10th, 2016 at 11:00 am.

Hi-Dilly-Ho-Web-300x300.jpg

Finalizing the 4th of July taplist with Woj here. This is what we're looking at:

1. Vintage Premium
2. Old Reliable
3. Ocho de Mayo
4. Nicie
5. Hot Loins
6. Beard of Zeus
7. Hopstache
8. Tapawera
9. Freedom of '78
10. Huma
11. Love Knife
12. Chickenbach Brown
13. Soft Parade
14. Critterless
15. Peachy Pom Pom
16. Tunnel Bear
17. BBN Pig Bear
18. Cat's Pajamas
19. Superfluid
20. Goodnight
21. Anniversary Ale
22. Pulsar
23. Immortal Jelly

Finalizing the 4th of July taplist with Woj here. This is what we're looking at:

1. Vintage Premium
2. Old Reliable
3. Ocho de Mayo
4. Nicie
5. Hot Loins
6. Beard of Zeus
7. Hopstache
8. Tapawera
9. Freedom of '78
10. Huma
11. Love Knife
12. Chickenbach Brown
13. Soft Parade
14. Critterless
15. Peachy Pom Pom
16. Tunnel Bear
17. BBN Pig Bear
18. Cat's Pajamas
19. Superfluid
20. Goodnight
21. Anniversary Ale
22. Pulsar
23. Immortal Jelly
For those that haven't tried it, Immortal Jelly is fantastic.

Cool

Elk Rapids, Mich. – Short’s Brewing Company of Bellaire and Elk Rapids, MI announces distribution of Psychedelic Cat Grass, a triple dry hopped American India Pale Ale. Billed as a “Without Delay IPA,” Short’s plans to package and distribute the beer within 24 hours; allowing customers to enjoy this beer on the same day it was packaged, resulting in out-of-this world freshness.

The brewery describes Psychedelic Cat Grass as a triple dry hopped American India Pale Ale first brewed for HopCat. Aromas of pineapple, mango, and grapefruit accompany the brew’s slightly hazy, pale orange color and lasting white head. A dry finish is preceded by balanced flavors of tropical fruit and bitter hops.

The idea to package and distribute a beer in one day came from Short’s Partner, Scott Newman-Bale. “We originally talked about executing this at our pub only, but in true Short's fashion we decided to push ourselves further and extend this to the state of Michigan and beyond. Why not go all in and see just how psychedelic we can get?!”

According to Newman-Bale, the company plans to send Psychedelic Cat Grass to any of their current distributors willing to take on the challenge of same day distribution. So far this includes Short’s longtime Michigan distributor, Imperial Beverage. Full distribution information will be posted on Short’s website at a later date. Psychedelic Cat Grass will also be served on tap at Short’s Bellaire pub and for sale in bottles at the pub and Short’s Mart, Short’s Bellaire “brewtique.”

Cool

Elk Rapids, Mich. – Short’s Brewing Company of Bellaire and Elk Rapids, MI announces distribution of Psychedelic Cat Grass, a triple dry hopped American India Pale Ale. Billed as a “Without Delay IPA,” Short’s plans to package and distribute the beer within 24 hours; allowing customers to enjoy this beer on the same day it was packaged, resulting in out-of-this world freshness.

The brewery describes Psychedelic Cat Grass as a triple dry hopped American India Pale Ale first brewed for HopCat. Aromas of pineapple, mango, and grapefruit accompany the brew’s slightly hazy, pale orange color and lasting white head. A dry finish is preceded by balanced flavors of tropical fruit and bitter hops.

The idea to package and distribute a beer in one day came from Short’s Partner, Scott Newman-Bale. “We originally talked about executing this at our pub only, but in true Short's fashion we decided to push ourselves further and extend this to the state of Michigan and beyond. Why not go all in and see just how psychedelic we can get?!”

According to Newman-Bale, the company plans to send Psychedelic Cat Grass to any of their current distributors willing to take on the challenge of same day distribution. So far this includes Short’s longtime Michigan distributor, Imperial Beverage. Full distribution information will be posted on Short’s website at a later date. Psychedelic Cat Grass will also be served on tap at Short’s Bellaire pub and for sale in bottles at the pub and Short’s Mart, Short’s Bellaire “brewtique.”
We shall see if Imperial can pull this off.

Got a case of Spruce Pils--insanely smooth. Less pine than previous years? Eitherway--hopefully I'll get to pick up a couple more six packs before they vanish.

Update: way too smooth. definitely does not register as a 10% beer :)

Last edited:
:confused: Can you elaborate on "malty bitterness"?
I knew I was gonna get it for that--I meant to say that There is not a harsh bitterness--much more herbal like mmmkay and all day--and very little malty after taste :)

I knew I was gonna get it for that--I meant to say that There is not a harsh bitterness--much more herbal like mmmkay and all day--and very little malty after taste :)
So, its balanced?

I stopped at one place on the way home and it was sold out, not suffering from FOMO though as I rarely enjoy Short's hoppy offerings. Maybe this one would be different? Oh well.

This, kind ale and mmmkay are on another level for shorts! Really excited with how well this turned out. Grade a stuff!
Just cracked a bottle. Pretty good.

I like the gimmick but liked it more when most Shorts showed up in SE Michigan within two or three days of bottling like it did as recently as last year.

Just cracked a bottle. Pretty good.

I like the gimmick but liked it more when most Shorts showed up in SE Michigan within two or three days of bottling like it did as recently as last year.
This!!! So much so, same as up here in the sticks 3 days after bottling. Not any more....oh well at least we have trillium, oh wait...

This!!! So much so, same as up here in the sticks 3 days after bottling. Not any more....oh well at least we have trillium, oh wait...
I don't get. Every new release was here with 48 hrs. Now we get Freedom almost a month later. And don't get me started on the cans.

You gonna be down this way anytime soon?

I don't get. Every new release was here with 48 hrs. Now we get Freedom almost a month later. And don't get me started on the cans.

You gonna be down this way anytime soon?
The cans....fml. Nothing in the plans that I know of but I'm sure sometime in the next month or two! Glad to see you're still in town:)

Two days? **** ive always waited 1-2 weeks for as long as i can remember.

What i would really be impressed with is a variety pack thats not already a month old. Those are favorites of mine and they are old every single time i see them.

I drank a 2 1/2 week old can of Huma last week that was a malty, sticky mess. Maybe my tastes have changed, but I used to love that beer fresh and now there's no way I'm buying it again. Frankly, there's probably only a handful of their beers I'll be buying in the future--Cup a Joe, Hopstache, Kind Ale, and Dan's Pink Skirt.

Everything else is either not to my taste to begin with, or has left me disappointed.

I drank a 2 1/2 week old can of Huma last week that was a malty, sticky mess. Maybe my tastes have changed, but I used to love that beer fresh and now there's no way I'm buying it again. Frankly, there's probably only a handful of their beers I'll be buying in the future--Cup a Joe, Hopstache, Kind Ale, and Dan's Pink Skirt.

Everything else is either not to my taste to begin with, or has left me disappointed.
I'd add Freedom and ... well, uh, Freedom.

Yup huma I feel the same, I did take locals light tubing last weekend and it was a nice drinker...citra locals really wows me...why they don't can that and distro it every where blows my mind

I hear you on the Huma cans, but then I find them to be my best option a lot of times and I like the ability of taking them camping, to beach etc. Huma initially turned me off and I know I've had some off bottles, but I still find it to my go to when I can't find a specialty from someone else. I would argue that most Bells generally strike me as overly malty sticky messes.

I bought a mister fusion 6er from an idiot party store that probably left them in a window and then put them in a cooler 3 months later and yeah, the flavor was OFF. Then I had 2 Wowee Zowees my wife's boss had held aside for me (they were bottled two years ago) last weekend and there really wasn't any mint, but damnit if that wasn't still tasty. My biggest compliment I can give to shorts is their tireless efforts to make sure nothing weird happens to their contents and even their waste water is cleaner than the water they start with! I know--I'm a real fanboy.

Your list is interesting to me because none of those are really my jam. I was definitely disappointed to see their release schedule for this year but I have to admit I have still enjoyed almost everything they have released so far this year(Bim Bam Boom never needs to be spoken of let alone packaged ever again). Pan Galactic is probably my favorite beer and to see it be added to the release schedule is awesome. Anniversary in 22oz seems like a boneheaded move as have a lot of decisions this year, but if we can get specialty cans and mixed 15 pack cans in the future then Shorts will continue to be me one and only <3 end of shorts love letter/defense of their misgivings:)

Back