Shorten liquid dip tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstrohs

Reaction score
Do many people cut off the bottom inch or so of the liquid dip tube to prevent sediment from being picked up? I read an article about this and I wonder if it is necessary.

I usually leave my beer in the primary for a month then rack to the keg. There really isn't that much sediment (just a coating) on the bottom of the keg for most beers. I get a little sediment with the first beer or so i pour from the keg but I wouldn't think it's enough of a problem to cut off an inch of the tube. As long as you're not moving the keg around much, that sediment sticks to the bottom pretty well.

i like the racking cane tip idea. Just pushing that small plastic cap on seems reasonable enough! however, im new to kegging and have yet to actually do it, but I will here this month.

Just throw away the first half pint and you'll be fine.

This. 3-4 weeks in primary, or a secondary, plus the 2 weeks on gas it takes to carb, the first half pint will be yeasty and the rest of the keg will be perfection.

Cutting stuff and adding tips just seems excessive. Making beer is a process that involves loss at EVERY step. Sure you wanna minimize it but cut your dip tube prevents you from getting the last drops of perfectly clean beer.

I've been thinking about bending just because I've needed to force carb fast the last few batches. I do like getting every last drop though... never had more than a pitcher of sediment in the first runnings... throw away a pitcher or get all of the cleared beer... your call.

I cut all my tubes 1/2". No one can convince me you can bend a stainless steel tube in a manner that will raise it an appreciable amount off the bottom. As they sit stock, you will leave literally 2 or 3 ozs in the bottom, cutting them helps and doesn't waste a noticeable amount of beer.

good advice wildwest. I've only kegged my last 5. If I continue to quick carb (hopefully not now that I have an extra keg) I may cut a 1/2 inch at my next cleanings.

Just as reference olllllo how far do you bend? pipe bending tool?

Oh, I was mostly thinking in consideration to fermenting in a keg where it's useful to have a spare short tube, or a tip when doing a keg to keg transfer. (Along with chilling the keg for a few days to really solidify the yeast.)

I agree, if you're just dispensing, just leave the normal tube as is and pour out the sediment in the first glass. There might be a little bit extra sediment if you let it self carbonate with dextrose instead of force carbing, but it's still not a lot.

I've kegged probably 20 or so batches now, from wheat beers, stouts, and even a dry-hopped IPA that ferments with added citrus fruits and leaves a LOT of sediment in the primary and secondary. I've never done anything to the dip tubes; I just always secondary for about 2 weeks. After the first 3-4 oz through the lines, I have clear beer. Just try to be a little careful when you rack to the keg, and you should have no problems with sediment.

I leave my tubes uncut... I always clean my lines between keg changes so that first half pint is used to run the cleaner/water/etc. out of the lines.
So if I didn't use that first half pint with sediment... I would have to use prefect beer :(

I dont ferment in keg too much loss for me. I have one down sugar carbing.... first time doing this... I expect a bit more yeasty... but it is a hefe so I'm not too worried... the first few should be nice and cloudy!

Back