Short term yeast storage - maintaining a pure viable culture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I’m looking to narrow in on a set of house cultures. I have a bunch of strains that I like but I want to really evaluate strains side by side.

I’m thinking about making extra large starters growing enough yeast to pitch and filling small containers with the remainder of the slurry. I plan to store the containers in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 weeks and then start growing the yeast again.

All of this makes me feel a bit uneasy I’ve dabbled with repitching here and there but mostly just when racking on to a yeast cake or harvesting a bit of the slurry after fermentation.

I have started to assemble a small lab, bought a cheap microscope, got a hemocytometer but haven’t used it yet. So I am a little concerned with my pitch rate and viability when growing the 2nd pitch and so on.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Practice OCD level hygiene and go for it! It is more common than you might think to over-start (split a large starter) and save some.

I heisted some dregs from some Allegash White and loved it in a basic wit recipe. Did it again and grew the hell out of it. Used some, saved some. Re-started and saved again.

Just started the 1st run, Brett anomalous and Brett claussenii

This will take a few steps to build so that will take a while but up next I’m looking at...

WLP004 Irish ale and WLP028 Scottish ale.

Or

WLP830 German lager and WLP 838 southern German lager

Oh and I do remember those vials

IMG_1521607869.086783.jpg

I’m probably going to use small mason jars

Thanks for the reply’s!

Back