Short lager fermentation yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
I would like to brew a marzen this weekend and I’m unsure which yeast to use. I use my kegerator for fermenting my ales as I can take the kegs out for 4-5 days then stick my primary in there. I’ve never brewed with a lager yeast and wondered how long I would need to tie up my kegerator for to ferment this beer.

In your experiences how long do you normally see terminal gravity from a lager yeast and is there a certain yeast you recommend that may finish up sooner?

Thanks...

I've brewed many lagers with 34/70 dry yeast at the higher spectrum of the recommend range (57-59 degrees), and it finishes them under 2 weeks like US-05 - 1.060 and under gravities.
At the 2nd week I keg my beers so I handle this exactly as I would the US-05.
If you pitch and ferment cold (48-50 degrees) then expect it to take longer.

What volume of wort do you plan on making? What gravity? How much yeast are you going to use? Are you making a starter or somehow preparing the yeast?

What temperature would you like to ferment at?

It’ll be 5.5 gallons of approx OG 1.055. I’ll can make a starter up to a gallon and ferment at any temp. Just wanted to ferment quickly so my kegerator isn’t tied up. I can lager for longer in the keg later.

Back