Shoot! I can't brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got SWMBO an Island Mist kit...she is wanting to brew this weekend, but the kit is calling for an 8 gallon Primary (I bought her a 6 gallon Primary for the kit). Has anyone made one of these kits with less than 6 full gallons? Why do you need 2 gallons of head space? Do We need to wait and get an 8...or can we RDWHAHB and BREW?...Is wine making really called brewing?

Well, I use an ale pail for wine kits, which are around 7.5 gallons or so. You can do it with less headspace, especially if you kit has you add less than 6 gallons. 6 gallons is pretty small, though, but you can probably do it. Most kits have you not airlock for primary, so you don't tend to get blow offs anyway. I'd try it, but keep the carboy in a tub just in case it overflows.

You don't typically get a krausen with wine kits, well, not much of one. You might have to stir and smash up the cap, so I use a pail.

A 6 gallon is perfect for secondary, though!

Latest posts

Back