Saison Shipwrecked Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be curious to know how it goes using MO. I'd make sure to mash low like 146-148 and skip the vienna and you'll be ok IMO. Let us know Sheldon.
I'm not Sheldon, but I'll let you know. :)

Looking at my work schedule, I think I'm finally going to have a chance to do some brewing this coming weekend (I've been working insane hours). I'll take your advice on mashing low.

It'll also be the first trial run with my new Igloo mash tun. Whenever I squeezed this recipe into my old square cooler the lid usually floated a little, and I'd have to push it down and wipe up the drips. At least I never had to worry that I was mashing too thin...

Must have had one too many that night sorry Troy!

I'm brewing some Shipwrecked v2 up tomorrow. Got all the grains & hops today and the starter is spinning away. For the record and those "in the know" yes it is AS11 from the original batch (still not sure what that is however). I've got 2 empty carboys one 5 and one 6 gallon so I'm going to aim for a 9 gallon batch to leave just enough room for krausen etc. That's why it's a 9 gallon batch. Swing by tomorrow if your available and have a beer or 10 with me as we brew. Anyway recipe attached.

Cheers

saison.jpg

I'm brewing some Shipwrecked v2 up tomorrow. Got all the grains & hops today and the starter is spinning away. For the record and those "in the know" yes it is AS11 from the original batch (still not sure what that is however). I've got 2 empty carboys one 5 and one 6 gallon so I'm going to aim for a 9 gallon batch to leave just enough room for krausen etc. That's why it's a 9 gallon batch. Swing by tomorrow if your available and have a beer or 10 with me as we brew. Anyway recipe attached.

Cheers
With the overtime that's been piled on me for the last few months I haven't even been able to get out of town long enough to hit a homebrew store; I've had to order over the internet. So I don't like my chances of making it to your brew day. Nice thought, though. Invite me again next year after I've hopefully retired....

Although the wife did look at me with big, puppy-dog eyes a while back and ask, "well, won't they let you work until you're 70?":drunk:

You put marris otter in and you'll get some extra biscuit flavor, no? Not quite what is expected in a saison, unless it is an ordinary bitter saison....

Sorry; I read this a couple of days ago and thought I had answered it. Homebrew is obviously an insidious drug, that messes with my intellectual functioning....

The recipe as written includes about half a pound of Vienna malt. According to what I've read, Vienna malt "imparts a golden to orange color and a distinctive toast or biscuit malt aroma to the beer."

My reasoning is that although I may lose a little in the color department, using Maris Otter as a base malt probably won't add much more biscuit to the recipe than I lose by dropping the Vienna - especially if I mash low, as suggested by LoloMT7.

And if I'm wrong, what I wind up with will almost certainly be worth drinking myself anyway.... Gawd, I love this hobby. How many are there where even disposing of evidence that you screwed up is fun?

Cheers

My day has finally come as well. Built up a nice starter of AS11 and I'm getting ready to heat up my strike water. Finally.

Hit my numbers pretty well. Came in a little high on the OG at 1.069, but I'm ok with that :D

Fermenter is in a water bath at room temp and I'll wait 24-36 hrs before ramping up. Excited about this one.

I was able to get it down to 1.008, which I'm happy with. I kegged/bottled today and the sample I stole smelled and tasted amazing. I can't wait for the finished product.

Went great. My estimated OG was 1.056 (post at the top of the page) and I hit 1.055 close enough for me :mug: fermenting away in the warm laundry room now.

1.jpg

The heater for my fermenter isn't working right and it only got up to about 75*. Think this will fully attenuate at these temps or do I need to find an alternate solution?

yup 75 should do it. Give it extra time and it should finish out fine. I mashed low like 148 this time.

1st bottle

Tasty stuff

I could knock this back all night...much like it seems fins has been

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403303194.963310.jpg

Has anyone added oak/Chardonnay to age this? I want to treat half the batch, but I'm not sure how to prep the oak. Typically I soak the oak in whiskey for my RIS, but I'm not sure if wine is sufficient to 'sanitize' the oak chips. Thoughts?

Has anyone added oak/Chardonnay to age this? I want to treat half the batch, but I'm not sure how to prep the oak. Typically I soak the oak in whiskey for my RIS, but I'm not sure if wine is sufficient to 'sanitize' the oak chips. Thoughts?

I actually added 4 oz of light toasted American oak the first time I brewed this. I only let it sit for a week or so and didn't get any distinct flavors from it. Nothing detrimental by any means though, so I say go for it!

As far as oak prep I soaked mine in Pendleton (what I had laying around) for a few days and had no issues

I actually added 4 oz of light toasted American oak the first time I brewed this. I only let it sit for a week or so and didn't get any distinct flavors from it. Nothing detrimental by any means though, so I say go for it!

As far as oak prep I soaked mine in Pendleton (what I had laying around) for a few days and had no issues

Did you pour off the whiskey before adding?

So now I'm thinking the best bet may be to soak the oak chips in vodka, pour off the liquid, add oak to secondary, then add some Chardonnay to taste at bottling time.

has anyone fermented at 90 degrees using a ferm-wrap? Im just wondering if that is sufficient to get the temp up that high. Ambent will be room temp (~65-72 degrees). Google and HBT search seem to turn up nothing.

has anyone fermented at 90 degrees using a ferm-wrap? Im just wondering if that is sufficient to get the temp up that high. Ambent will be room temp (~65-72 degrees). Google and HBT search seem to turn up nothing.

A ferm wrap will be more than sufficient if you're heating the carboy. I've heard stories of low 100's with a fermwrap. Mine kept it low 90s with a little manual regulation since I don't have any sort of temp control/ferm chamber

So the recipe above posted by Chanel66 is the one you used that won gold?....MINUS THE CORIANDER AND SUBBING MOTUEKA for the 15 minute saaz? I want to try my hand at a Saison and this sounds so good!

So the recipe above posted by Chanel66 is the one you used that won gold?....MINUS THE CORIANDER AND SUBBING MOTUEKA for the 15 minute saaz? I want to try my hand at a Saison and this sounds so good!

I used Motueka in my first version of this and thought it was amazing. My less beer-snobby friends seem to prefer the Saaz version I brewed after. Not sure if that was because of their tastes, some other variability in the actual brew and conditions (because I'm not exactly consistent) or because of the different hops.

Yup that is right Sladek. I Brewed it with homemade candi sugar, and skipped the coriander. I did use motueka for the 15 min and skipped the Saaz. I really like everything i have made with Motueka. Excellent hop! Good luck

Man, I was looking forward to brewing this, but I can't find this yeast anymore. Even the online stores say out of stock, and Wyeast's site doesn't have it on the current yeast list.

Grabbed everything I need today from the brewshop.
Using 3724 Belgian saison for the yeast (didnt have the exact one per the recipe)
Also ended up using organic german wheat instead of belgian wheat malt.

I've researched this thread top to bottom and see lots of questions on fermentation temp. but none addressing getting it too hot. Round these parts hitting 90 isn't an issue. What's the hottest anyone has ever let this yeast get to? I can't find tech details on the Wyeast web page but I've got my carboy in a water bath in the garage with a fan blowing on it and I anticipate having to add ice periodically to keep the temp below 100. Could I just let it go or is there a known max?

I've researched this thread top to bottom and see lots of questions on fermentation temp. but none addressing getting it too hot. Round these parts hitting 90 isn't an issue. What's the hottest anyone has ever let this yeast get to? I can't find tech details on the Wyeast web page but I've got my carboy in a water bath in the garage with a fan blowing on it and I anticipate having to add ice periodically to keep the temp below 100. Could I just let it go or is there a known max?

I had mine sitting on a heat mat while in ambient temperatures that got close to 100. I didn't measure the internal temperature but I bet at times it got comfortably above 100. It came out great.

Having said that, it did stall for a while, as this yeast is known to. Not sure if that was related to the temperature?

100 seems pretty darn high.. that said I wouldn't sweat it at all I've started at 75 and gone to the mid 90s and had no issues. I'd try and start it on the lower for the first few days though maybe 70-75 and then let it rise as it goes and you'll be fine. Even if it gets to 100 I wouldn't worry about it. I'll swap you a couple and let you know if they are ok or not :). Just bottled a 5-gallon batch myself.

1.jpg

2.jpg

100 seems pretty darn high.. that said I wouldn't sweat it at all I've started at 75 and gone to the mid 90s and had no issues. I'd try and start it on the lower for the first few days though maybe 70-75 and then let it rise as it goes and you'll be fine. Even if it gets to 100 I wouldn't worry about it. I'll swap you a couple and let you know if they are ok or not :). Just bottled a 5-gallon batch myself.

I spy an empty case of my favorite pilsener!

I agree with you though, mine got up to the mid 90's and it turned out fine.. Those yeasties love the heat

Bayern Rocks Bulldogwinters.. Did you try the Bad Santa at Christmas time?? WOW that was good!

Back