Saison Shipwrecked Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed up an Old Bay version of this and just tapped the keg a few days ago. I used an ounce each of Halletaur (bittering), Cascade, and Motueka. I made my own Old Bay spice mix so it wouldn't include salt. Came out very delicious and smooth with just a slight Old Bay taste (I used 3 tsp at kegging; you can taste it but not overpowering or spicy).

I made a starter but don't have a way to consistently heat the fermenter, so ambient was probably only 70-75 at the highest. The saison yeast crapped out at about 1.20, so I threw in some US-05 I had on hand which got it down to about 1.10. I think that since I didn't have the high temps I didn't get quite as much yeast funk as I would like, but the result is still very pleasant. SWMBO has had several fills and is quite pleased with it, as well as few other people I shared with.

Thanks for the recipe!

I brewed up an Old Bay version of this and just tapped the keg a few days ago. I used an ounce each of Halletaur (bittering), Cascade, and Motueka. I made my own Old Bay spice mix so it wouldn't include salt. Came out very delicious and smooth with just a slight Old Bay taste (I used 3 tsp at kegging; you can taste it but not overpowering or spicy).

I made a starter but don't have a way to consistently heat the fermenter, so ambient was probably only 70-75 at the highest. The saison yeast crapped out at about 1.20, so I threw in some US-05 I had on hand which got it down to about 1.10. I think that since I didn't have the high temps I didn't get quite as much yeast funk as I would like, but the result is still very pleasant. SWMBO has had several fills and is quite pleased with it, as well as few other people I shared with.

Thanks for the recipe!

I gave one of the guys at work a bottle of my latest batch of Shipwrecked; he told me it's the best beer he's ever tasted. Of course he's a youngster who grew up in the middle of the desert surrounded by Bud Light, so what does he know? :p

But still, it's encouraging... there's hope for him.

I'm very interested in brewing this but can't find 3726, would anyone be willing to send me a culture? I'd be happy to grow it up from just a few cells.

I'd be happy to do a yeast trade if I can supply anything from my yeast bank in exchange.

I'm very interested in brewing this but can't find 3726, would anyone be willing to send me a culture? I'd be happy to grow it up from just a few cells.

I'd be happy to do a yeast trade if I can supply anything from my yeast bank in exchange.

Wyeast responded to my inquiry and they are thinking about releasing WY3726 PC Farmhouse in Oct/Nov of this year.

Wyeast responded to my inquiry and they are thinking about releasing WY3726 PC Farmhouse in Oct/Nov of this year.

cool, it would be good to get a fresh vial. A member contacted me and is going to send me a small amount of yeast/trub from their previous batch. I'll be plating it out then growing it up from single cells.

it sounds like a great saison yeast if it produces the farmhouse flavor and gets down to 1.006ish in under a week. Looking forward to working with it.

I just pitched some washed yeast and top-crop harvested at high krausen (second skim) to capture the freshest cells possible. Seems to have worked pretty well as I am on my 5th batch with this strain and it is still working beautifully. If you need some more at a later date shoot me a pm. I will be washing a 3 gallon batch whenever I get a day off again.

:mug:

I brewed this up a few weeks ago but lost more water in the boil than I anticipated. My OG is 1.072 and I ended up with 8 1/2 gal out of the secondary. It actually worked out perfect because I am conditioning it in a bourbon barrel that had a second life aging honey!
Samples I have taken are amazing and I think I will bottle/keg today as I don't want the oak and bourbon to be too strong. I like Saison to have subtle flavors.
gaga1Sj

That's awesome BrewMoto. Nice work!

FYI Everyone The Wyeast 3726-PC is being released for the 4th Quarter should see it on shelves soon.

Drinking a bottle from my first batch while brewing up another.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414340085.425329.jpg
First batch came in north of 9% so I'm dropping the sugar from this version. Also, I'm brewing up an 11 gal batch to do the base recipe, brett'd version and a sour as well.

Cheers!

With some six month old washed 3724, my latest batch dropped from 1.063 to 1.001 in two weeks. This yeast is a MONSTER!

Now I'm worried it's not gonna have enough malt and hop balance to match the hotness of all that alchohol. Any suggestions - secondary it on top of something? Dry hop it a bit?

I've made saisons with 3711 that had OG over 1.070 and they came out smooth. Somehow saison yeast it's able to eat everything but leave a full body anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it being to hot.

I just cleaned up after brewing this BIAB style. I added kafir lime leaves, chamomile, the coriander, a bit of orange peel, and about 1/2 of the sugar as the Belgian candy sugar and the other half just plain white sugar. In reading through this again, I realized I did a 60 minute boil, not 90. OG clocked at 1.062, so pretty darn close. I used a locally made farmhouse yeast. Let's see how it goes, but I am most nervous that I may have used too much lime leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is really solid recipe.

It's held up so well over 6 months.

Brewing this weekend with 3726 since it can still get it from farmhouse

Won't have the best temps but still looking forward to it

Farmhouse I guess had it listed incorrectly that they had 3726 in stock.

Is anybody willing to ship me a culture if I cover shopping? They have 3724 in stock by I'm put off by its reports of stalling

Brewing ten gallons this weekend split between 3726 3724 and loloMT7s sour blend

New mash paddle to boot

Nice. I brewed up twelve gallons a couple weekend ago and split between belle saison and the yeast bay saison blend, with a gallon getting ecy20. They all smell fantastic!

I just brewed this for the first time on 1/23. I used wyeast 3726 with an og of 1.068 and tonight I just pulled a reading I'm at 1.006. 6 days later, what should I do?

Thanks guys. I currently have it at 84 degrees. Would it be best to lower it or leave it up there?

Last night I brewed a batch of this in my friend's Braumeister using fancy stepped mashes and all that stuff. Curious to see whether it makes any significant difference.

On a side note, brewing with a braumeister is very easy but also a little boring...

@atimmerman88 The saison I brewed with that sour blend is down right amazing... LOVE IT! Was bottle dregs from De Garde, Hill Farmstead, and tired hands.. Dude soooooooo good! Cheers

I can't wait to try mine. What was your OG/FG with it and how long did you let it sit in primary?

Haven't check mine it's just a baby @ 2weeks old

I only left it in primary for about 1 month then bottled. It's tart and dry and going fast.

Did you just pitch the one sour vial? Or did you use a starter.. I've got another vial and I'm looking to brew another batch this weekend.

Did you just pitch the one sour vial? Or did you use a starter.. I've got another vial and I'm looking to brew another batch this weekend.

I made a 1L starter. Stepped it up from 200mL then to 1L.

1.061 - 1.004

I pitched another 1L started into my 4 gallon of 3724 that was stuck at 1.020 on Sunday.

I made starters so I could save a pint in the fridge for future use since the samples were so good

So my quick 2 cents on this recipe. I used a farmhouse strain from the LHBS that they ce commended and it came way down to 1.001. I also added kafir lime leaves and chamomile. I went a bit overboard on the lime leaves and needed to wait about 2 or 3 months after bottling for the Lemon Pledge flavor to mellow out to a drinkable level. Still a very cool beer, one that I will try again with a bit less adjuncts. Recipe though is beautiful!

Latest posts

Back