shipping war shenanigans-are they a good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toastman

Reaction score
I have to say its nice to see some healthy competition happening among the supply companies when it comes to shipping. This can really turn a good deal into an average, or even a not so-average deal. Companies like Northern and Midwest even offering free shipping over $30 while still maintaining decent prices on the products (though I suppose it depends on what you are buying). Plus, many more going to flat rate. Yeah, we know you add some pennies here and there on the products to balance the scales. But so much easier to calculate.
I recently had a not so good experience with a supplier. It seems they've ante'd up in the big game of better shipping by putting out an e-blast saying they'll match anyone's shipping price. So off I go filling my cart with wonderful sales and products with good prices. Much better than the other companies. But alas, when their hand was 'called' they totally re-nigged on the special. "oh we can 't match that shipping,..our prices and margins are too tight. And overall, you are getting a lower price."
You know, I appreciate that. BUTTTTTT...that's not what you offered was it? Your special should be matching the overall price with shipping. If you don't want to match shipping, change your product prices or just better yet, stick to your word. Want to play with the big boys? IMHO..Time to sack up or pack up LP!
Anyone else have any experience with these shipping gimmicks?
Are shipping specials really a special?

Last edited:
Back