Shipping to competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been using FEDEX for a few years to ship beer to local island contests. Never asked what was in the box. But the current contest said to ship to Maui Home Brew Contest c/o somebody.

Got asked what was in the box. Said beer for a contest....SORRY WE CAN'T SHIP BEER.

Going to a different shipper and lie tomorrow. Just addressing it to the c/o guy.

Yeah, I've noticed it seems to really depend on the person you're handing the package to. I'd do as you're planning and either just address it to the c/o name or abbreviate the comp name to MHBC. Then if they ask, artisanal vinegar, marinade, and BBQ sauce has worked for me.

What's really frustrated me is Fed Ex seems to arbitrarily apply their dimensional weight policy. I'd been shipping with them using actual weight for years, then on one recent package they ended up more than doubling the rate retroactively after the package was delivered. So what was originally supposed to cost me around $48 to ship, ended up costing over $100 due to the policy hidden in their terms and conditions.

FedEx Ground just started charging dimensional weight in the past few months before only Express did so that is why it happened last time. Now pretty much any mode you get hit with dims.

If you create a Fedex account you get a small discount and can make labels at home. That way your box is labeled and ready to go all you do is drop it on the counter and say "I don't need a receipt". Never get more than "Have a good day".

I have used Fedex and they so far, have never asked. With that said certain plants and seeds cannot be shipped to HI so that could be why they asked. I have lied and said artisan vinegar at UPS it worked, but I'm pretty sure the clerk knew that was BS.

Good luck. You'll never get a full proof answer. All of which are technically illegal. So...
And marking it as "Yeast Samples" only works about 25% of the time.

The UPS and FedEx stores near me require packages to be open when you bring them into the store.

Good luck. You'll never get a full proof answer. All of which are technically illegal. So...
And marking it as "Yeast Samples" only works about 25% of the time.

The UPS and FedEx stores near me require packages to be open when you bring them into the store.

That sucks!

I typically schedule a pick-up at the house. I leave the box outside on the front porch so that I don't have to bother opening the door to talk to the driver.

When will the people hosting competitions wise up to make shipping less difficult. Have the ship to address a members hardware store or pet food store. It is also cheaper to ship to a business address than a residential address.

Yeah, I've noticed it seems to really depend on the person you're handing the package to. I'd do as you're planning and either just address it to the c/o name or abbreviate the comp name to MHBC. Then if they ask, artisanal vinegar, marinade, and BBQ sauce has worked for me.

What's really frustrated me is Fed Ex seems to arbitrarily apply their dimensional weight policy. I'd been shipping with them using actual weight for years, then on one recent package they ended up more than doubling the rate retroactively after the package was delivered. So what was originally supposed to cost me around $48 to ship, ended up costing over $100 due to the policy hidden in their terms and conditions.

That's crazy!!! Package shipping gets paid, shipped and delivered. Then somehow they charge more for delivery after it's delivered? That'll ruin a business quickly.

That's crazy!!! Package shipping gets paid, shipped and delivered. Then somehow they charge more for delivery after it's delivered? That'll ruin a business quickly.

Yeah, it got billed to my card the day after it was delivered. I actually reported it as fraud to my credit card company because I thought someone had stolen my credit card. They got info from FedEx​ showing it was a valid charge and indicating they'd applied dimensional weight. I googled it and it turns out both FedEx and UPS implemented dimensional weight policies at almost the exact same time...I believe it was the same week, possibly the same day (collusion anyone?). This is despite the fact that I'd sent the same box via FedEx at least a dozen times and never got charged DW before. And it was a box (with Styrofoam insert) I bought through Amazon prime for about $13, and it was delivered from Amazon by FedEx, so I know they aren't charging Amazon the same amount for DW.

Yeah, it got billed to my card the day after it was delivered. I actually reported it as fraud to my credit card company because I thought someone had stolen my credit card. They got info from FedEx​ showing it was a valid charge and indicating they'd applied dimensional weight. I googled it and it turns out both FedEx and UPS implemented dimensional weight policies at almost the exact same time...I believe it was the same week, possibly the same day (collusion anyone?). This is despite the fact that I'd sent the same box via FedEx at least a dozen times and never got charged DW before. And it was a box (with Styrofoam insert) I bought through Amazon prime for about $13, and it was delivered from Amazon by FedEx, so I know they aren't charging Amazon the same amount for DW.

Time to start paying cash for those transactions :D. Good info to know, thanks for sharing for sure, as I'll be sure to use cash from now on.

Charging an additional fee to a CC without permission or notice to the payee seems borderline fraudulent to me. I'd be super pissed :mad:, especially when the pricetag doubles from $50 to $100 for shipping!!

When will the people hosting competitions wise up to make shipping less difficult. Have the ship to address a members hardware store or pet food store. It is also cheaper to ship to a business address than a residential address.

Right on, brother. Shipping address should NOT contain the words "Beer" or "Brewing"!

I'm resurrecting this thread because I had a similar experience yesterday. Took a box of 2 bottles to FedEx and after reading the ship-to address the guy asked if it was alcohol. ******* me said yes, and he refused to take it. So I said, "No, it's just apple juice". Nope, sorry. After a few choice words I went down the street to UPS. Told them it was glass bottles (I have "fragile" written all over it).

UPS charged $35 for 3 day delivery. Ouch.

Back