Shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggabrew

juggabrew
Reaction score
I'm bottling my first batch this weekend. How long of a shelf life does your home brew have?

Depend on the ABV and the amount of hops.

I have a Braggot that is in a keg that is 4 years old.

Low Grav/Low hop beers set up fasterand are to be consumed young.

High Grav/High hop beers take longer to set up and can be stored for a pretty long time...

This is a general rule so there may be exceptions...

It depends on the gravity, the hopping rate, and the final alcohol content, but even with moderate strength beers (4-6%) you generally get a greater shelf life with bottle conditioned beer than with commercial beer. Generally speaking, a well-kept bottle will last two or three years at least (except for weizens, which tend to deteriorate quickly for some reason and rarely last more than 8 months). YMMV, though. About five years ago I had a pilsener I brewed in 1993 (partial mash, IIRC), and it was still in good condition, despite less than ideal storage in a drafty garage. Stronger beers could last up to twenty years with good cellaring.

Note that bottle conditioned beer will change over time, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Generally speaking, hop character (especially aroma) dissipates quickly, with aroma usually mostly gone after 8-12 months and bitterness slowly decreasing with age. OTOH, esters tend to mellow and mature with time, and malt character will often come to the fore, especially with high ABV beers.

It depends on the brew. I always set a few beers back and try them months down the road. I did a Belgium triple last year and set some back. I found that the peak taste of the beer was at about six months of conditioning. How long did you want to save them? Every beer has a best by date. They don't expire any faster because you brewed it at home.

High ABV, non-hoppy beers last years.

Everything else, especially hoppy beers, should be drunk ASAP. These beers will start to fade in a month or two. Kegged beers seem to do better, but I think that's because I do a much better job of getting rid of O2.

I had a light ale that I bottled last February. I moved in June and the bottles were stored in a garage for months. I drank the last few on New Year's Eve and they were the best I had. So not sure on how long they last but 10 months in not ideal storage situation didn't seem to faze them.

Back