Shelf life of various beer styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drycreek

Reaction score
I've learned from experience that hop-heavy beers tend to lose their hop profile and bitterness. I have an APA from last year that no longer tastes like an APA. It's still drinkable, but it just tastes a little bland.

I've also read that wheat beers tend to have a shorter shelf life, although I've never kept one longer than 4-5 months and they tend to be good within that time.

On the flip side, some of my beers that still taste great over a year later are a brown ale, blonde ale, and Oktoberfest.

What other styles typically hold up better over time?

Stouts barleywines,i think pumpkin but some may not,with decent storage i think most of them would.Aromas will lose their edge, but i havent had any taste worse within a year,i havent tried any aged over that long though.Mine all seem to age nicely and i really dont preferr to drink most of mine unless they are conditioned at least a few months.

Well I can say with certainty that the 4X500mls of 10 yr old bitter I got today while buying a whack of used flip tops were not so good. Well carbonated sherry comes to mind.

Belgians age well, in fact they taste better with some age to them.

That reminds me I should put one of my Belgians in the fridge..... yummm

I have heard that wheat beers do not age well. I am not sure what their shelf life is though.

In terms of oxidation, a general rule would be - dark beers age well; light beers do not. Dark malts tend to have more antioxidants so darker beers can weather years without becoming overly oxidized. Big beers can weather oxidation pretty well too - in fact, some oxidation can add to the flavor profile of some big beers that have been sitting around for years.

In terms of hop "stability" - aroma, flavor and bitterness will drop out, so beers that are supposed to be bitter and hoppy (e.g. IPAs) do not age well. This is also why you should plan on overhopping any beers you plan to age.

I've also heard that wheat beers do not age well, but I think that has more to do with their usual light color. I think darker wheat beers would age just fine.

For any beer though, the colder it is stored the slower it will change.

Back