"She Blinded Me With Celebration Ale"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
Jesus Christ, I just tried the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. I've read you guys talking about it before and heard people refer to it as one of the best beers they've ever had. I assumed that was just talk. But, WOW. As soon as I took my first sip, BAM! it hit me right in the mouth. Wow...

Anyways, anyone have a good clone of that? Or a recipe with similar results? I really can't imagine brewing anything that full, but I'd love to try. I fills me with a sense of wonder. I checked out the SN site and it listed the hops used and gravities and such. Anyone have a good clone? God I'd love to try and brew anything half that good.
-Ben

Searches RAWK. ;)

Here is the recipe we came up with, it totally kicked butt. As you can see, the color came out spot on.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=43073&postcount=7

SNCA on the left, mine on the right.

celebration.jpg

Heck yeah for the leine! I used to drink my weight in it yearly back when I lived in Indiana (I remember long evenings with the "Big Butt Doppelbock"). I remember driving on 90 between Madison and Minneapolis and damn near driving off the road because I saw the sign to head to Chippewa Falls. Course, now that I live in the Pac NW, my beer taste has changed. What is the saying? Memories are always better?

Back to the SNCA, I noticed your recipe is AG. Since the coloring is so darn beautiful and it looks like the real thing (I read the sentence twice just to make sure), how might one approach making that beer as an Extract brewer?

HCNate said:
Heck yeah for the leine! I used to drink my weight in it yearly back when I lived in Indiana (I remember long evenings with the "Big Butt Doppelbock"). I remember driving on 90 between Madison and Minneapolis and damn near driving off the road because I saw the sign to head to Chippewa Falls. Course, now that I live in the Pac NW, my beer taste has changed. What is the saying? Memories are always better?

Back to the SNCA, I noticed your recipe is AG. Since the coloring is so darn beautiful and it looks like the real thing (I read the sentence twice just to make sure), how might one approach making that beer as an Extract brewer?

Easy. Steep the carapils and crystal malt with about a half pound of DME, and add another 6.5 lbs. of DME instead of the 12 lbs. of pale malt/grain. Use the same hopping schedule. If I were doing extract, I'd use a lighter crystal malt to ensure I got teh same color. Go with 60L or 40L and you'll be darn close.

Good old Leinies. I still drink the Creamy Dark when I go back home. SWMBO is head over heels for the Sunset Wheat and Apple Spice.

So Dude, in the rest of that post you went on and said ours was a little sweeter and less hoppy than the real thing. What would you do different? Maybe add the Centennials a little sooner maybe at 15 instead of 10?

I just blew my keg of pale ale so this would be nice replacement.

sause said:
So Dude, in the rest of that post you went on and said ours was a little sweeter and less hoppy than the real thing. What would you do different? Maybe add the Centennials a little sooner maybe at 15 instead of 10?

I just blew my keg of pale ale so this would be nice replacement.

No, it was only that way because I racked too early. It would have finished perfectly had I let it go.

I've been trying to decide what to brew after Christmas.......and now I've got it! Thanks for the recipe guys.....that beer is incredible!

I just bottled my version pretty much based on Dude's recipe. I couldn't get Crystal 80 and used 60. Mine is lighter in color than the original and this is the first time using Chinook and Centinnel hops. Tasting it was a real eye opener. Those hops have some kick.

Well I'll let you know how an extract version comes out, assuming I can assemble the ingredients. And you know, I swear I did a search for this recipe before posting, I guess the Celebration Ale dulled my search sense a bit. Or a lot. Thanks again!
-Ben

I wonder how long they let that beer condition.....with most brewerys I'm sure you get it bottled and send her out. I'm guessing with a little higher ABV and all those hops, it would require at least a little more aging than your typical beer.

EDIT: For those you that have brewed it, how long did you let it age? Take any longer than other beers?

Back