Sharp cheddar note from Mangrove Jack M07?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a dry Irish stout two Sundays ago, and checked the gravity last night, whereupon I determined that I had hit my target gravity. Being a homebrewer, I poured the sample into a taster glass and gave it the ol' sniff-and-sip.

Yeast I used was Mangrove Jack M07, their British ale strain. Reviews of it are really mixed, but I was curious.

Flavor wise it's pretty damn good. Exactly what I'd expect from a DIS, though it's cleaner than I'm used to in terms of yeast flavors. Aroma-wise... huh. It reminds me of a really sharp cheddar. It isn't exactly cheese, but it's reminiscent. Maybe it's just an unusually strong yeast smell... it's not dissimilar from the way brewer's yeast smells on popcorn.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with this yeast, or this smell. I reckon I'll leave it in the fermenter another week or two on the assumption it'll clean itself up... unless anyone thinks carbing it would make the smell go away early!

Update post cold crash and kegging: it's a beer! :mug:

No yeasty, cheddar smell evident anymore. A little carbolic bite because I put it on gas four days ago.

The yeast character on this guy is really muted. I get a vanilla finish that is quite nice, but I don't know that it's the yeast or the grain bill. Or maybe it's from letting the crushed grains sit in a closet for two years before I brewed it!

Might use ol' Mangrove Jack again though.

Back