Sharing homebrew! Yes or No?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neophilus said:
Paying to ship to friends and getting nothing in return, even constructive feedback, sounds really crazy!

Common guys... How much could 3 or 4 beers cost to ship? And if we do a little swap with each other you know the brew people are people who would really appreciate it!! Besides, you will get a brew for every one you send...

unionrdr said:
More than you think,not all that cheap. 2 bottles padded,bagged,padded more & boxed cost $11.33 to MI via UPS.

Ouch! Did know it was that pricey?

Ok, so to ship 4 will be about $22.....
Pricey, but still not bad to share the fruits of our labor with people who would appreciate it...
$22 is still not bad when you think about the fact that we will get 4 in return from all around the US.
Still sound fun (and worth it) to me :)

BadgerBrigade said:

Pricey, but still not bad to share the fruits of our labor with people who would appreciate it...
$22 is still not bad when you think about the fact that we will get 4 in return from all around the US.

Badger I sent you a PM

I have a similar issue. My two friends came over and helped me brew my first batch (recently) and then came over to help bottle it (this last weekend). Now they want to know how its being divied up. I spent all the money and did all the dry hopping and tending. In the mean time, I have brewed an IPA and some mead (both still going). Am I then supposed to feel inclined to divie'ing up everything?

They havent put any money or anything into this but feel entitled to a "share".

I'd tell them that they will get their third of the beer when they pay their third of the cost. If they dont want to pay then they are only entitled to 1/6th of the beer. Friends will understand (unless you drive 2 BMW's, then they will probably think you are just being tight)

I make it clear that my friends can drink my beer when they visit, but I paid for it and I got grey hairs over it so the beer is still mine, no one is entitled to anything!

Sorry to be the guy that didn't read the whole thread, but I at least did a search!

Besides entering competitions (which cost money to enter as well), try and locate a local cicerone. There's a good chance there's one at your local brewery, brew pub, LHBS, home brew club, or beer store! There is one at our local beer and wine store, and her husband is one as well, in addition to being a home brewer himself. I recently asked if it'd be possible to bring in some home brew for tasting analysis, and she said she'd be more than happy to try some. :)

Sorry to be the guy that didn't read the whole thread, but I at least did a search!

Besides entering competitions (which cost money to enter as well), try and locate a local cicerone. There's a good chance there's one at your local brewery, brew pub, LHBS, home brew club, or beer store! There is one at our local beer and wine store, and her husband is one as well, in addition to being a home brewer himself. I recently asked if it'd be possible to bring in some home brew for tasting analysis, and she said she'd be more than happy to try some. :)

Another good place is to go to a homebrew club meeting. They are very helpful, have beer tastings, and provide great feedback. If you live in a place where there are homebrew clubs, I highly recommend them as a great place to share homebrew. Some clubs have fantastic brewers, and you can learn so much from them.

If you just want feedback, entering a BJCP competition is a good thing to do. You'll get back scoresheets from judges, with helpful tips as well as have a chance to win prizes. I think competitions are good because all of your friends may say, "great beer!" but a BJCP judge will give non-biased feedback and judge according to BJCP guidelines.

Here's the link to upcoming comps: http://www.bjcp.org/apps/comp_schedule/competition_schedule.php

Keep in mind that the competitions are honest, and some people think they can take criticism but it turns out they can't. I've seen quite a few people, in person and here on the forum, get bent out of shape because their beer scored a 25 and they thought it was the best beer in the world. :drunk:

But if you want honest feedback with tips for improvement, a non-biased judge is the way to go!

(And no, please don't send me beer to judge- I have plenty already!)

I ask a simple question when trying to get feedback. "what didn't you like about it?" Typically this elicits the more appreciated responses. Too sweet/hoppy, undercarbed or overcarbed, odd smells or flavors. I then put these up against the guidelines and see how close I was to style. Usually it works well.

BadgerBrigade said:

Hey badger your pm inbox is full. Didn't get the email

I saw my neighbors sitting in their back yard a few weeks ago so I took them over a sixpack of homebrew. I gave them a raspberry wheat. I know they are BMC drinkers, so I figured it would be a good gateway beer for them into craft brew. They said thanks, but never mentioned if they liked it or dumped it down the drain. I was a bit ticked off and figured that was the last time I was going to share it, but then I was talking about homebrew on facebook and she commented "Bring some over any time!", so I guess all is forgiven now. :)

I have a similar issue. My two friends came over and helped me brew my first batch (recently) and then came over to help bottle it (this last weekend). Now they want to know how its being divied up. I spent all the money and did all the dry hopping and tending. In the mean time, I have brewed an IPA and some beer (both still going). Am I then supposed to feel inclined to divie'ing up everything?

They havent put any money or anything into this but feel entitled to a "share".

I am sort of a control freak with my process, so I usually let people hang out and learn while I'm brewing, and offer whatever beer I have on tap. Some want to help and I usually only need help cleaning, which doesn't get high participation. But you are right, if they didn't contribute any money to the cost of the batch, equipment, or hard labor that was agreed to be paid in XX number of beers, you don't owe them anything except a smile and a thank you for hanging out and keeping you company.

When I make really ****ty beer, I always pretend like its some really delicious special beer and give it away. I keep all the good beer myself.

I dew all my brewing at my friend's place with his equipment. I let him take as much as he wants, which usually amounts to 3-4 bottles. He dry hopped my last beer, so he got more beer out of it. I don't have any problem with paying the beer tax. I've also gone halfsies on a batch of cider.

I dew all my brewing at my friend's place with his equipment. I let him take as much as he wants, which usually amounts to 3-4 bottles. He dry hopped my last beer, so he got more beer out of it. I don't have any problem with paying the beer tax. I've also gone halfsies on a batch of cider.

Yea, that would be different. If they had an interest in making their own beer and just used my equipment, cool. I think they see it as "Mike is making beer. If we go over and lend moral support, we can have free beer". Hell, if they had chipped in on the initial gear expenditures and then came and helped with kits, that would make them more welcome to my beer. My issue is the $300+ worth of gear, $40+ each kit, and then them wanting their handout.

Oh well, Hakuna Matata or in HBT speak RDWHAHB.

Back