Shaker table? Multiple stir plates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to do some yeast experiments with viability of expired or close to expiration yeasts, some other experiments as well.

I would like to find an economical way to do multiple stir plates, a shaker table, or something that would let me do 4-6 starters at once. I might use quart jars, or maybe half-gallon jars as my "flasks."

Anyone know a way to do this that is reasonable in price? I suppose I could make up a bunch of stir plates (I have one), but wondering if there's a better way to do something like this. Ideas?

Really surprised to find there's hardly anything Google-able wrt DIY orbital shaker tables, and what there is is undersized for more than one e-flask or maybe two. But that's the direction I'd investigate first, as it shouldn't be that hard to design one that'd handle at least four 2 liter flasks.

Cheers!

I've never done it, don't have a plan, but I'd think it would be very simple to make a large shaker table (why are the real ones so expensive?) All you'd need is a piece of plywood set up on cup mounted roller ball bearings/ casters, and a motor or a actuator on a cam at each corner.* Could be as large as you like.

*or maybe a single in the center if difficulty syncing them at the corners makes more of a earthquake simulator than an orbital table.

Last edited:
Back