SG Worry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue_bmw2

Reaction score
So i now have my very first batch in the primary and it is a classic English pale ale kit. I did everything i was supposed to as it said to do it. I did however drop the spoon into the wort but quickly sanitized a pair of tongs to retrieve the spoon and sanatized that before continuing. Siphoning took longer than i thought as i got some sediment in the hose and it clogged in the very beginning so i had to start the siphon again. Other than that everything went well except for when i took my starting gravity. The kit said it should be around 44 but when i took it the reading was only 32. i know this is a direct factor of the abv but i was wondering if i did something completely wrong to cause this or if i did something to the point where it is ruined! please advise! thanks so much!

When did you take your starting gravity? you measure your O.G. (original gravity) reading right beforer you pitch the yeast. Then you take another reading after primary fermentation (bucket) to see if the O.G. has dropped by about 1/2 and no longer dropping. Then rack to your secondary fermentation vessel (carboy) and age for however long you desire ( or what the kit says.)
When I brewed my first brew I follwed a kit and got worried because the target OG was supposed to be 1.030-1.040 and mine was 1.049! Well Come to realize I timed the boil wrong and cooked it for an hour or so rather than 30mins. It turned out fine, just had a slightly higher F.G. and didn't clear very well.

Relax and have a homebrew!

One of the most common sources of this issue is not properly mixing the wort with the top-off water in the primary. I'm not sure if that's your case though. Could it be?

That could be it. I did take the reading before pitching the yeast but i didnt mix until after i pitched. Hopefully this is the reasoning behind it.
Thank you all so much!

Yea, same issue with a delirium tremens clone i'm brewing. took O.G. reading and it said 1.030 and i was like wtf? so i mixed up the batch voilently and to create some oxygen for the yeast and then took another reading and the hydromete nearly flew out of the tube! 1.086 !! so yea it makes a HUGE difference if you dont mix your cooled wort and top off water properly!

Latest posts

Back