SG too low? :confused:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshso

Reaction score
I just brewed my second beer kit yesterday and added too much water to my primary (about 1/4 gallon over five). The instructions give a range for the SG of 1.042 - 1.046; when I checked the wort the SG registered at 1.038. Messing with the calculations I am coming up with an estimated ABV of 3.65%...considerably lower than the already low ABV of 4.2% the instructions estimated.

Am I correct in my assumption that the ABV will be lower and how much will this mistake affect the overall body and taste of the beer?

Thanks in advance for any assistance...even with this mistake I'm already enjoying beer more than wine brewing (which I have been doing for ten years).

You already partially answered your own question-you added too much water which means you over diluted the beer and brought the gravity down. In addition, if this was an extract batch it is very difficult to get a thorough mix of the wort and top off water and very common to get an incorrect SG/OG. If you get a reading of the denser wort you will get a higher reading and if you get more of the water a lower reading.

At this point I would let it ride and chalk it up to learning your process, take notes and make it a point to not repeat the same mistake.

Duboman is absolutely right, it is hard to get an accurate reading when topping up. You also have to account for the temperature of your reading. According to my calculations, though, an extra quart of water should only cost you 2 gravity points. So as long as all of the extract made it to the fermenter the lowest SG you should have is 1.040, and most likely you'll actually be in the range expected by the manufacturer. Best part is you get an extra quart of beer when it's done!:mug:(By the way, it's an 'experiment,' not a 'mistake.':rockin:)

same as these two said ^.

Furthermore, 4 pts off isn't all that far, and you never know, it may ferment out a point or two lower then anticipated as well so you could make up some of the ABV there.

smokinj said:
Duboman is absolutely right, it is hard to get an accurate reading when topping up. You also have to account for the temperature of your reading. According to my calculations, though, an extra quart of water should only cost you 2 gravity points. So as long as all of the extract made it to the fermenter the lowest SG you should have is 1.040, and most likely you'll actually be in the range expected by the manufacturer. Best part is you get an extra quart of beer when it's done!:mug:(By the way, it's an 'experiment,' not a 'mistake.':rockin:)

FWIW, IMVHO, an experiment is predetermined and intentional, a mistake is not, however, some mistakes turn out to be great discoveries:mug:

Thanks all for the feedback and advice. It is much appreciated.

Back