Sg at 1.012 after 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akrob78

Reaction score
Hi all, tonight i went to brew my first batcg of cascade imperial pale ale. I let it sit in the primary for 3 weeks, and thete was definitely no more bubble action in the airlock. The problem is the sg is at 1.012..... It started at around 1.046. Help!!!! What should i do????

Everything i read says don't bottle unless fg is 1.006, with a warning of exploding bottles if higher than that. Have also just noticed that there are bubbles coming from the airlock again. Should i maybe stirr and let it sit for a few days?

akrob78 said:
Everything i read says don't bottle unless fg is 1.006, with a warning of exploding bottles if higher than that. Have also just noticed that there are bubbles coming from the airlock again. Should i maybe stirr and let it sit for a few days?

I don't know where you read that, but ignore it. In all my batches of homebrew beer I have never hit 1.006. I'd say that a "typical" FG is in the 1.012-1.016 range, though higher is not uncommon.

I wouldn't worry about your fg being too high. If it is stable over a few days, you're good to bottle. Especially if it's been 3 weeks in the fermenter. Your airlock activity could be a result of temp changes or from moving the fermenter.

I agree don't worry and bottle it. But, for future if you are really concerned and feel it should have gotten much lower. You might get some distilled water and check the accuracy of your hydrometer. should be exactly 1 in distilled water

I agree don't worry and bottle it. But, for future if you are really concerned and feel it should have gotten much lower. You might get some distilled water and check the accuracy of your hydrometer. should be exactly 1 in distilled water

True, but you'll also need to correct for temperature. The slip with the numbers on the inside should have the calibration temperature on there (usually either 60 or 68 degrees F). So your hydrometer should read exactly 1.000 in distilled water at that temperature.

Thanks all. Will have a bit of a play with the hydrometer as well to get used to it

Back