Sexy mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
20439_269758953958_501523958_3208492_5061016_n.jpg

4 gallon batch of mead from local wildflower honey and local blueberries (picked my yours truly). 12 lbs honey in 4 gallons yielded me 1.098 OG. Fermented for five months on Wyeast American ale yeast at ~70 degrees. This brought it down to 1.030. I then pureed 7 lbs of blueberries and added them in secondary, along with a packet of Lalvin K1-V wine yeast. That fermented for about a month. Yesterday I racked it off the trub and into a 3 gallon carboy.....with a little left over for sampling. The final gravity?

With the additional blueberries, I'm looking at a calculated abv of 15.5%. Not too shabby :ban:

Got to say, it's one of the best I've made so far, the alcohol is very well hidden. I think I'll do this every year and see if I can get a vertical tasting going by 2012 :)

Cool pic. Looks yummy.

Did you bottle it in that flippy? If so, how well do flippies work for bottling mead? Only thing I have ever used is a wine bottle. Will they hold up over the years?

Cool pic. Looks yummy.

Did you bottle it in that flippy? If so, how well do flippies work for bottling mead? Only thing I have ever used is a wine bottle. Will they hold up over the years?

Nah, that was just for sampling and sharing. Its still in a carboy, waiting for it to clear/mellow a bit still. I think I'll keep it in carboy at least until June (that'll make it a full year from pitching yeast to bottling. As far as swingtops, I don't really trust them any more. I've had way too many commercial beers bottled in those leak or just go bad. Not a very good seal for the long term.

Back