Serving a Hefe @3.8 vol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atl_sud

Reaction score
I have 20 feet on my kegerator for the dedicated Hefe tap but wanted to know if there was a hack or trick to serving this high volume on a shorter picnic tap.
This is for a 3/16 line.

Thanks in advance

I have 20 feet on my kegerator for the dedicated Hefe tap but wanted to know if there was a hack or trick to serving this high volume on a shorter picnic tap.
This is for a 3/16 line.

Thanks in advance

Not that I know of. I bought a bunch of cheap like (15 cents/foot) from McMaster-Carr for serving soda out of a picnic tap, and used 25' of it. It was more rigid than the regular beverage line, and curled up on top of the keg nicely. A short line would probably be a foamy mess, even if you turned down the pressure just to serve, but it may be ok for a couple of hours.

I have to ask, I just have to... why do you want to serve a hefe at 3.8 volumes? That is crazy high, are you just basing that off of some literature that lists that volume for hefe's?

Rev.

I have to ask, I just have to... why do you want to serve a hefe at 3.8 volumes? That is crazy high, are you just basing that off of some literature that lists that volume for hefe's?

Rev.

I always carb mine between 3.2-3.8

I read Stan's wheat book and he listed the volumes between 3.5-4 throughout recipes in the book, so thats what I go with.

I've tried carbing them lower, and wasn't as happy with the way they tasted.

Interesting, I'll have to give it a try. I've done 3.2 volumes in the bottle which I thought was perfect. I was just curious and put that into the CO2 calc and it said 23.3psi which is why it seemed high - never gone that high yet with my kegs.

Rev.

Warden, thanks for the link. I just ordered a pack of 10 from Graingers.

Rev, I like my beer cold and my Hefes on the fizzy side. With the serving fridge at 35° and 20 psi for the Hefe setup I have about 20 feet of 3/16. This hack is going to be perfect for my away Hefe setup.

Back