Serve extremely cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
SORRY! Despite my beer snobbery and mindless guiness bashing.........

WTF.

The new guinness bottle states that it is to be served EXTREMELY cold.

That's it.

Never again.

Die a horrible death guinness.

Would you trash a sports car because the manual says never to drive it over the speed limit? If it tastes good warm, drink it warm.

Would you trash a sports car because the manual says never to drive it over the speed limit? If it tastes good warm, drink it warm.

If you put your heart and soul into crafting a great grilled steak, would you suggest "serve it ice cold" just because the BMC crowd likes their steak "cold filtered"...?

If you painted your masterpiece, would you suggest people "view it through jello" just because that seems to be the latest fad?

The lack of integrity is staggering.

Personally, I serve my stouts around 40*, but by the time I get to the pint, it's around 50* F. I'm completely for the fact Guiness should be served at the temperatures in which you can taste all that it has to offer.

There's nothing all that new about this. While the marketing on the bottles/cans may suggest to serve it cold for inexperienced American beer drinkers, I remember my time over in Europe about 8 years ago and many pubs were serving Guinness 'Extra Cold' Draught alongside the rest.

Not that I agree with an ice cold stout, but it isn't something that Guinness just pulled out of their ass in the past year or anything.

Pop tarts are supposed to be heated up in a microwave or toaster but I prefer them right out of the packaging, serving temperature is always up to the consumer ... who cares what the producer says

No, really, I am quite happy about this.

Every once in a while some people convince me to go back and give guinness another chance.

Never again.

I'll take an ice cold miller over a guinness.

Who cares what the producer thinks? wow.

If the producer thinks you need to put a widget in it and serve it so cold you can't taste it, I'm gonna pass on that.

If you mail ordered a bride from France would you be upset if she shaved her pits and used deodorant?

We're Americans and we like our beer cold. Beer is about having fun and enjoying it. Some of us sound worse than the worst of wine sommeliers.

Hee Hee!!

You like your beer cold?

Cold filtered?

How do you go about cold filtering your homebrew?

It's said that on the bottle for a few years, FWIW.

I've said for a while that Guinness is much more marketing than beer. The annoying manliness/Irish pride of it all makes me dread St Patrick's Day.

It's said that on the bottle for a few years, FWIW.

I've said for a while that Guinness is much more marketing than beer. The annoying manliness/Irish pride of it all makes me dread St Patrick's Day.

I know, it's actually kind of a gross beer.

I actually think it's slightly watery. No one will agree wtih me, but it is.

That said, I actually like Guiness and will drink it at the temp I want.

As the producer of my own homebrew I tell people to pour all but the last half inch of my bottled beer into their glass. If they don't mind the sediment they are welcome to drink the whole thing, I inform them that it's not harmful at all. It's all about pleasing the majority of people (who may also be uneducated). I see nothing wrong with Guinesses tactics. They are trying to sell beer.

I have to agree - I like Guinness but it is rather thin as far as stouts go IMHO.

Sweet, finally someone that agrees! I've debated this with my sister in law who is of Irish heritage. She will defend that beer till death with her, "I've had it straight from Ireland and drink it here, it's not watery" response.

Sweet, finally someone that agrees! I've debated this with my sister in law who is of Irish heritage. She will defend that beer till death with her, "I've had it straight from Ireland and drink it here, it's not watery" response.

The bottle with the widget/can is watery. The extra stout tastes pretty good to me.

Alright, decent discussion.

I admit that I could/should put things more tactfully.

To me, "serve extremely cold" is advice that will detract from the flavor of the beer. So, hence, the "WTF" came out of my mouth.

If Rogue's dead guy said "Serve over a wedge of iceberg lettuce and pee all over it" I would still buy it and drink it from a glass.

I guess my point, was that rogue, or stone or even sam adams would NEVER do that.

I have never had it warm because even in the store it is already cold. My guess is I would not like it though but one day I am going to have to try it warm and see what the fuss is all about.

I wonder, did drinking warm beer originate from the lack of easy refrigeration back in the old days and the habit just followed? In other words they were not necessarily meant to be consumed warm, it just happened to be the only option and then became habit?

The only way I ever really have Guinness is in car bombs and the rare black and tan. As for cans, they serve a greater purpose to go in places where glass is prohibited as seen below. (Rivers, beaches, ect.ect.)

Yes, that is me doing an "Irish car bong"...No, I was not trying to impress anyone on the river AND No, I am not trying to impress anyone here.

Guinness cans sold in 4 packs, Baileys Irish cream sold in 4 packs of plastic bottles, Jameson easily pours into an empty mini Pepsi bottle...coincidence? I think not.

carbong.jpg

I've also thought it was watery for a stout, but I always chalked it up to me loving oatmeal stouts so much that i'm skewed.

Isn't Guinness the biggest by volume beer made in the world? It would seem they are doing something right. I like it and I like it COLD!

i think it's a valid point.

extra stout is the only guinness i'll drink. and definitely not extra cold.

The first beer I've drank a lot is the Guiness they served on tap in an Irish pub in my hometown. I thought it was hard as hell to drink -- very heavy (but very good). I just wasn't able to drink all of my pint. Well, I could if I took two hours... I was 18 back then (5 years go).

Then, two weeks ago, I was at this very pub with friends. I ordered a pint of Guiness, and thought it was actually a little bit watery. Decent, but very thin. I drank it all in 20 minutes, and I was all "WTF!?".

Seems like my perceptions changed since then...

I think it's a valid point too. These trolling accusations are trolling in themselves.

It's blatant marketing to those who don't care what they drink as long as it's ice cold. Sure, it's a personal choice to drink whatever you want, and at what temp, but Guinness has always got my back up with their pandering.

I have nothing to add to this thread other than I laugh when people think Guiness is a "high alcohol" beer because it's "dark."

So, Guinness is officially dark and thick? Hmm that rhymes with, AND describes Michael Vick!

Guinness supports dog fights! the bastards!

extra stout is the only guinness i'll drink. and definitely not extra cold.

I think it's a valid point too. These trolling accusations are trolling in themselves.

It's blatant marketing to those who don't care what they drink as long as it's ice cold. Sure, it's a personal choice to drink whatever you want, and at what temp, but Guinness has always got my back up with their pandering.

It could be a valid point...if the original poster left any room for discussion whatsoever in the original post, or if he posted in the mindless mumblings forum.

I have seen at least 8-9 of these posts from the same author...the thread always progresses the same way:

A. Posts a rant with no point except to try and win cool points with beer aficionados OR
B. Asks a question with an answer already in mind

A. People find flaws in his rants or logic
B. People give an answer he doesn't agree with

A and B. Somewhat civil debate takes place

A and B. Increased evidence posted against views in rant/logic/why the answer he was looking for isnt the correct answer.

A and B. OP STARTS TYPING IN ALL CAPS SAYING HE HAS NO EMOTION INVESTED IN THE DEBATE AND THAT HE IS LAUGHING AT ANGRY PEOPLE SINCE HE APPARENTLY DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE TOPIC.

6. OP continues to dig himself into hole, thread dies or mods shut it down

I can post those 8 + examples if you wish...each thread is the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back