serious o.g. problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kXb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
left the dh in charge of final brew day steps because i had an appointment. for some reason he was unable to check hydrometer reading after chilling wort/before yeast pitching. he says it wouldn't float in the wine thief even though there was plenty of beer in there at 68 degrees. he went ahead and pitched yeast and put it in cold storage. then he dropped the hydrometer and broke it.

texas brown ale is the brew; all instructions followed to the tee and we have many mini-mashes under our belts so aren't complete newbies to this although i'm the brewer and he's my assistant. i've never had any og to fg problems with any batches in the past so i'm inclined to attribute to user error.

thoughts??

Bottled:
Oktoberfest
Apple Pear Hard Cider

Primary:
Texas Brown Ale (I hope!)

The hydrometer must have been wedged in the wine thief for it to not float, otherwise it was broken and leaked liquid inside. I always take my readings from a graduated cylinder so that I can spin the hydrometer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

what i wasn't banking on was that dh wouldn't be able to discern which was the top and which was the bottom of the hydrometer! once i dug it out of the trash and asked some questions, i'm pretty sure he put it in UPSIDE DOWN! hahaha. i was seriously worried there was something wrong with my brew though

Back