Quick fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert_612

Reaction score
Hello, I have a quick question. I brewed my first batch of beer recently. I had a chocolate stout extract kit that I added extra extract to to increase gravity for a higher abv stout. the kit recipe said to pitch a tsp of dry yeast non rehydrated. During the first 24 hours there was a lot of activity; but during the last 2.5 days fermentation has crawled to almost a complete stop. My hydrometer broke the other day so I currently am unable to take a gravity reading. But, everything I have researched and read states I should have more activity than I do for only 3.5 days of fermentation. Is it possible that it just has fermented that quickly, or is it more likely I am just dealing with stuck fermentation? Starting gravity came in at 1.084. Also, it has been fermenting at 68-73 degrees F.

Update: I was able to get a hydrometer and take a gravity reading. it is down to 1.026. I guess that 90% fermentation occurred that first 24 hours. The flavor seems off but I am going to let it condition for another week before bottling and see how it turns out. Thank you for the insight and advice.
Now... on to the next batch. Thinking about doing a brown ale, any suggestions for flavor additions?

Last edited:
Did you open the fermenter at all since you last saw activity? If you're using the airlock to judge fermentation, then a small air leak in the vessel can make it seem like it's stopped. A hydrometer is the only way to really know.

How big is the batch?
What kind of yeast did you use?
What temps were/are you fermenting at? Oh I see 68-73F. That is a little higher than optimal, but it depends on the yeast too.
What kind of container is the beer in?
During the first 24 hours there was a lot of activity; but during the last 2.5 days fermentation has crawled to almost a complete stop.
That's a sign it all worked, but nothing about the quality of the fermentation. Usually slow and steady is better than fast and explosive. Look into a way to control your ferm temps from now on.

There's a good chance the beer is about fermented out, but give it at least another week to 10 days to condition out. Although visually there may not much going on, the yeast keeps working for much longer, making the beer better.

No need to take a gravity reading now, let it be at room temps, and keep the airlock on and filled. No need to open it. The less you tinker with it the better for the beer.

Oh, and keep it out of direct light, especially sunlight. Dark is best.

If the kit instructions say to rack to secondary after xx days, totally ignore that. Leave it where it is, in its (primary) fermenter. Secondaries are NOT needed for most beers, with only very few exceptions, that would never come in a kit.

Back