Semi-washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POAS

Reaction score
I "washed" yeast from an Oktoberfest style ale that I recently made using the method from the Yeast Washing Illustrated post. This being my first time at trying this, I obviously I did not do a very good job because I only have what appears to be a very small amount of yeast in each 8 oz jar. I have some questions:

a) is this enough yeast to get a starter going? If so, do I need to get the starter going earlier than normal (i.e. 2 days instead of night before) to allow for more yeast to grow?

b) Should I try to re-wash this by combining the four jars that I collected and try to get one decent jar? Or should I just chunk it and try again later since it wasn't too much work anyway?

DSCN2109.jpg

That look like a starter-ready yeast harvest to me. Maybe you can try to pitch the starter 2 days in advance just so you don't have to push back brew day (we know how hard those come by!)

I think you'd be fine though. That's more than you get in tubes or smackpacks

I have pitched it, just like that, in a 5 g batch and it was my fastest start-up yet.....5hours and blow of was active!

If it is only a week or two since I harvested the yeast I'll decant and pitch the contents of a jar just like that. Longer and I play it safe and do a starter.

Thanks, I guess it's better than I thought! It just didn't look like the pictures so I was a little worried.

Back