Self sustained brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbrackett

Reaction score
I have planted several varieties of hops in my garden. I have only used pellets in the past so my question is concerning the amount of hop cones (frozen ) compared to pellets. How many ounces of cones is comparable to the same hop in pellet form?

Are you going to dehydrate the cones before freezing? If you dry them before storing, they will keep better. Even better yet if they’re vacuum sealed. If they are dehydrated, at the homebrew level, you would use them at a 1:1 ratio, the same as pellets or slightly higher. The problem you might have will be not knowing the AA content of your cones for recipe formulation.
Here’s an article about it.

T90 pellets contain 90% of the vegetative matter of the original hops, making them slightly more concentrated. Because of this, many people recommend using ~10% more by weight when using whole cone hops.

As long as you fertilize well, harvest at the right time and dehydrate well, the difference should not be substantial. It might take a few harvests to get your process close to the same quality as commercial hops.

Latest posts

Back