Seeking recommendations - best hot liquid solenoid valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldzinator

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been taking a fairly slow approach with developing my automated eHerms brewery. I'm still in initial stages. I plan to source most of my parts, but I'm building my PID and automation off the Arduino platform. One of the things I wanted to look into is controlling the in-line valves using solenoid valves. Still early, so not sure if I'll do discrete or PWM/analog for opening and closing, but I was hoping someone has a recommendation for a particular valve suited to hot liquids. Most I've seen are rated up to 80*C, which doesn't cut the mustard.

EDIT: I did stumble across another thread that recommended this one --
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/solenoid-valve-1-2

I just learned more about solenoid valves than I ever thought possible. Any others?

2 things affect the temperature rating of a solenoid valve: the coil rating, and the seal material. I suspect the coil rating is the issue here because most common seal materials should handle hot wort.

Most people seem to be using motorized ball valves, you might want to look into why.

2 things affect the temperature rating of a solenoid valve: the coil rating, and the seal material. I suspect the coil rating is the issue here because most common seal materials should handle hot wort.

Most people seem to be using motorized ball valves, you might want to look into why.

I checked out some of the available high-temp options. Will need to do more research. Most of the stuff I found for under $100/valve looked to be cheap Chinese ****. Not that I expect to source all American, but man, some of the crap I've bought lately from China has been Gawdawful.:D

If you want a solenoid valve, then use a stainless valve with viton diaphragms - they work great at temps above boiling. $41 bucks on ebay for a 1/2" version - they are chinese but I've got 8 of them on my system and they are very reliable.

Are these valves only open and closed or can you controll them like you would like a ball valve?

If so i would assume a rheostat would be sufficient to do this?

Are these valves only open and closed or can you controll them like you would like a ball valve?

Solenoid valves are only open or closed.

I'm not sure that the motorized ball valves even have proportional control. As far as I know, those are open or closed; otherwise you'd need some kind of position feedback or could possibly guess based on timing.

Keep in mind that solenoid valves are not great for wort. If you look how the valves are designed, they have several spots where sticky wort can hang out. Solenoid valves are okay for water and have the advantage that they turn off immediately compared to motorized ball valves.

If you're thinking about valves for wort, I would recommend go the ball valve route.

Thanks man, yeah i was thinking of a mechanical way to go off my chugger.

Allways thinking of ways to improve, guess ill just stick with the ball valves i have

Back