Seeking Critique of Pumpkin Porter Brewed Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3_Creepio

Reaction score
I know it defeats the purpose of asking for opinions after the beer is made, but now that I have to wait for it to ferment and bottle condition, I thought I would ask you guys what you think it might end up like or what I could have done differently. So here's the recipe and method:

1 can (3.3 lbs.) Mutons LME light
1 can (3.3 lbs.) Mutons LME amber
1lb. DME extra light
1 lb. dark brown sugar
1/2 cup locally made maple syrup
Steeping grains (all for 30 mins at 150-145, sparged): 1 lb. Crystal 60
1/2 lb. carafil 1 black malt
1/2 lb. chocolate malt
Hops(adjusted):
1.5 oz East Kent Goldings 60 mins.
.5 oz Chinook 45 mins.
.5 oz. Chinook 30 mins.
1 oz. Chinook at flameout
Spice Bill (all added at 10 mins.):
1 tspn allspice
1 tspn nutmeg
1/2 tspn cinnamon
2 bourbon vanilla beans, split (returned to fermentor after boil)
1/2 whirlfloc
Also (of course) 4 cans pumpkin (15 oz. ea.) baked 40 mins. at 350 and added at 60 mins. (start of boil.)

Method:
Using turkey fryer setup, steeped grains in 3 gallons of spring water for 30 minutes. Sparged with 1 gallon warm spring water, topped up to 6 gallons. Meanwhile, baked pumpkin on sheet tray, added after bringing to boil and flaming out along with 6.6 lbs. LME. Brought back to boil, added 3 oz. E. Kent Goldings hops and started 60 min. timer. Had a slight boil-over here, and estimate a loss of between 1/3 to 1/2 of total 60 min. hop addition. Made an adjustment by adding 1/2 oz. Chinook at 45 mins and 1/2 oz. at 30 (happened to have them on hand. What the hell, right?)
At 15 mins, added mixture of 1 lb. DME extra light, 1 lb. dark brown sugar, and about 1/2 cup of locally made maple syrup. At 5 mins, added another 1/2 oz. Chinook hops, and at flameout added the other 1/2 oz Chinook. COLD CRASH.
After laborious filtering/aerating process, ended up with exactly 5 gallons of wort. Took the vanilla beans and added them back into fermentor(impulse decision). Topped up with another 1/2 gallon of distilled water for total of 5.5 gallons. Everything was either boiled or submerged in StarSan or both. Did 1-step yeast starter with Wyeast smacker of AmAle 1056. Going to pitch now, after taking OG reading and tasting the wort.
I expect to ferment 2 week and then rack to secondary (normally wouldn't with a dark beer like this, but trub was extensive, even after filtering, so I think it might be worth it.) One more week and then prime, bottle and condition for 3 more weeks. Should be done by the middle of October.
Final Calculations (using Brewers Friend.com), after the slight boil over and hops adjustment: OG: 1.064 FG 1.016 ABV: 6.30% IBU: 59.03 SRM: 32.08
Hoppier than the average porter, which is what I wanted(Warlock, anyone?). ABV is high but within guidelines for the style.
This is my 10th batch of beer, and maybe the most difficult so far. Any gurus around here have thoughts?

Appreciated,
3_Creepio

I would have left out the flameout hops, and let the spices be your aroma. But that's just me. It sounds like an interesting porter.

I made a pumpkin dubbel last year, and I didn't like it. I tried one a few weeks ago and it was better. So it might need some aging to get good.

I also see that you have a good amount of simple sugars (brown and maple syrup), so it should end up on the dry side, which is good for a porter.

I would have left out the flameout hops, and let the spices be your aroma. But that's just me. It sounds like an interesting porter.

I made a pumpkin dubbel last year, and I didn't like it. I tried one a few weeks ago and it was better. So it might need some aging to get good.

Originally, I was going to just go with the Goldings at 60 minutes and let that be it, but I'm a hop head and can't help myself. It turned out to be a good thing because of the slight boil-over and loss of the Goldings, but I know what you are saying.

I also see that you have a good amount of simple sugars (brown and maple syrup), so it should end up on the dry side, which is good for a porter.

Ah, yes. I like dryer beers anyway, but I know this style demands it. I've made something of a habit of adding (either cane or brown--depending on style) sugar to just about every brew. Not to add ABV, but to add dryness. And never more than a pound or so (or 10% of total fermentables) because I understand that too much can produce a cidery flavor that I don't want in any of my beers.

So far there has been some very active fermentation and some nice aroma coming through the airlock.

Back