Seeking Advice on Which Smoker to Get - Newby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to second the earlier comments about the Pit Barrel Cooker, I finally bought one last year to be able to cook more than one rack of ribs. For those times my Webber kettle just wasn't big enough. I can get 8 full racks in the PBC if I ever need to... I'm very happy with the results I get, very little fussing with it. Light it and cook.

Try looking at the Orion Cooker. No baby sitting. Just come back in the set amount of time. I have one and it is the simplest smoker I have ever used. I get consistent results.

Just a suggestion on those that want to smoke in cold weather: go to Harbor Freight and by a welding blanket and some metal clips. Fold the welding blanket so that it will wrap around your smoke all the way leaving the intake and exhaust clear. I have smoked in 15 deg F. weather and had trouble keep the temp low enough.

I recommend the Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. I smoke everything from high heat (350*), PBC style hangin, to Low n Slow Bacon/Sausage (125*F).

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

Wow, so much good info. Just commenting on a few below but taking it all into consideration

I currently have a Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone pellet smoker and Can not say enough good things about it. You get a lot of bang for your $$$. I've had it for just over 2 years and use it at least a couple times a month and it works as good today as the day I bought it.
Easy to operate, easy to clean and puts out some mighty tasty "Q"
I started out with one of the old bullet electric water smokers, then upgraded to the masterbuilt electric and finally discovered the GMG Smokers. For set it and forget it smoking a pellet can not be beat IMO

I have a Green Mountain Grill, Daniel Boone model. It’s a pellet smoker and I friggin love it. I bought it a few years ago for about 370. At the time they were selling for 550. I got the old model that did not have Bluetooth.
It truly is set and forget. I used to have a propane cabinet style smoker and it was decent but you really have to babysit it for hours to maintain a steady temp.

With little ones at the house, the pellet smoker rules. There is no way I could dedicate a half day to smoking meat anymore.

I can put a brisket in at midnight and wrap it at 6 or 7 am.
A few hours later, pull it from grill and let it rest. By lunchtime, we are feasting on brisket.
If you shop around, you can get the 20lb bags of pellets for 10 bucks. Most meats will only take so many hours of absorbing smoke, so sometimes I will wrap pork butts or brisket and finish in oven to save pellets.

I was eating at a bbq joint once and we were talking about smokers. The owner overheard us and said, “get a pellet smoker. So much easier”. He was using a huge barrel smoker.

These Green Mountain's look very nice. So is the WiFi model a must have for not having to babysit a lot?

I got the Pit Barrel Cooker a couple of years ago. I think it was $299 when I bought it. I looked at the Weber Smokey Mountain as well but I’ve been very happy with the PBC. It’s extremely idiot proof. You basically set a damper based on your altitude then you really never worry about temperature control again. I’ve yet to have a bad result with it.

If you are looking for a BBQ pit style smoker, I can highly recommend the Pit Barrel Cooker. Had mine two years now and it makes great BBQ with very little fussing during cooking.

The Pit Barrel Cooker is not a cold smoker though. It's not for making smoked cheese, fish, jerky or things like that.

I have to second the earlier comments about the Pit Barrel Cooker, I finally bought one last year to be able to cook more than one rack of ribs. For those times my Webber kettle just wasn't big enough. I can get 8 full racks in the PBC if I ever need to... I'm very happy with the results I get, very little fussing with it. Light it and cook.

These look very interesting and the price sure is right! You're using one of these on a wood deck too, correct?

We have brick pavers now but may be going to a Trex deck.

Camp Chef Woodwind pellet smoker here. Get yourself the propane sear box attachment with it and you'll never want anything else. Has some great features built in, it really is set and forget. You can thank me later.

I bought a Bradley 4 rack electric smoker from Amazon a few years ago. It works well and you do not have to babysit it. This is my first smoker and I see no reason for me to get anything else. It uses the pressed wood pucks and auto feeds a new puck every 20 minutes. I like that I can unplug the heating element and still get good smoke for chesses and vegies. Bradley also makes a 6 rack if you want a larger one. The 4 rack suites us just fine. I can load it up with brined salmon and have plenty for days. It will hold a couple racks of ribs or a brisket just fine. Check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FJZ150/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Interesting. what about when the weather is bad?

Try looking at the Orion Cooker. No baby sitting. Just come back in the set amount of time. I have one and it is the simplest smoker I have ever used. I get consistent results.

So this thing cooks faster than a typical smoker huh?

Low price for sure.

I'm guess the OP might be inundated with various opinions at moment.

Maybe @Jiffster might have better direction by submitting a poll.

Inundated yes.... but great info!
Seriously appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously (as in items in the cart waiting for credit card) considering the Pit Barrel Cooker. Great price, portable, coal, low/no babysitting, great reviews.....

Update as of 2:45 PM: I just ordered a Pit Barrel Cooker!

Last edited:
Seriously (as in items in the cart waiting for credit card) considering the Pit Barrel Cooker. Great price, portable, coal, low/no babysitting, great reviews.....

Update as of 2:45 PM: I just ordered a Pit Barrel Cooker!

Good choice! A friend of mine has one of those and it puts out some awesome meat!

You opened up another can of worms with that Trex deck. A little :off: but be careful with that especially if your deck has a southern exposure. Attached is the picture of our 10 year old Trex deck that was supposed to last forever. It's terribly faded, stained & warped. It's even separating in parts from all the expansion and contraction over the seasons. Apparently sawdust and recycled milk cartons aren't the perfect material for a forever-deck. According to the fine print with Trex, this is considered normal wear and tear so it's not covered under warranty.

I'm in the same boat myself as we're looking to replace this one. Some of the all-plastic products like Zuri look like the warranty might be more inclusive and also longer (25 years I think). Aluminum looks like it might be the real deal maintenance free stuff. But, it's not a very popular residential choice so it's hard to find a contractor to install it and you'll pay up front.

In the end, we may just end up going with cedar since the up-front cost is reasonable and you know what you're getting out of it. We are going to hear out a few more contractors though. They all claim to install the best product on the market that will last forever and be absolutely maintenance free.

IMG_6425.jpg

The Bradley has no issues in the colder weather here in Utah. If needed I just bump the temp up a hair but it has never struggled to maintain temp.

Wow, so much good info. Just commenting on a few below but taking it all into consideration

These Green Mountain's look very nice. So is the WiFi model a must have for not having to babysit a lot?

These look very interesting and the price sure is right! You're using one of these on a wood deck too, correct?

We have brick pavers now but may be going to a Trex deck.

Interesting. what about when the weather is bad?

So this thing cooks faster than a typical smoker huh?

Low price for sure.

Inundated yes.... but great info!
Seriously appreciate it!

I have my Pit Barrel on my patio rather than my deck, but really just because the deck is old wood and starting to warp so it’s not the most stable platform. The cooker sits on a metal base so it’s a couple inches off the ground, I haven’t checked how hot the base gets because I have it sitting on concrete but I doubt it would get hot enough to damage a deck. You’ll be fine on pavers, I’d just check how hot the base gets before putting it on a new deck.

Good choice! A friend of mine has one of those and it puts out some awesome meat!

You opened up another can of worms with that Trex deck. A little :off: but be careful with that especially if your deck has a southern exposure. Attached is the picture of our 10 year old Trex deck that was supposed to last forever. It's terribly faded, stained & warped. It's even separating in parts from all the expansion and contraction over the seasons. Apparently sawdust and recycled milk cartons aren't the perfect material for a forever-deck. According to the fine print with Trex, this is considered normal wear and tear so it's not covered under warranty.

I'm in the same boat myself as we're looking to replace this one. Some of the all-plastic products like Zuri look like the warranty might be more inclusive and also longer (25 years I think). Aluminum looks like it might be the real deal maintenance free stuff. But, it's not a very popular residential choice so it's hard to find a contractor to install it and you'll pay up front.

In the end, we may just end up going with cedar since the up-front cost is reasonable and you know what you're getting out of it. We are going to hear out a few more contractors though. They all claim to install the best product on the market that will last forever and be absolutely maintenance free.

Appreciate the heads-up. I wonder if there are different levels/types of Trex. I've seen some that have lasted a long time. Ours would be a northern exposure.

Weber Smokey Mountain. I bought the smaller one, I think it’s a 14 inch and never looked back. I don’t know how other users operate it, but mine is very much a set-and-forget model. I’ve smoked ribs, chicken, and tons of brisket on it. Always comes out amazing. Highly recommended.

Right on! I started the Bradley off this morning with a dozen hard boiled eggs. I have 3 pounds of salmon in there now. Beautiful weather here in Utah. Looks like nice weather where you're at too.

Are you looking for smoking only? Kamado grills are great for grilling and smoking

Indeed. Since getting my Big Joe, I sold both of my cabinet smokers, and demoted the gas grill to hotdog duty. It's just so much easier to hold a consistent temperature and smoke rate.

Added a Flame Boss temperature controller just over a year ago; with a full load of lump and some wood I can maintain a perfect 225F for 24 straight hours when doing a whole shoulder, without doing anything at all, and monitor the progress from anywhere.

Awe smoked food, nothing better.

I have 2 smokers; one I built called an ugly drum smoker, it uses hardwood charcoal. Cooks a lot of meat if needed.
The other is Masterbuilt Electric. Never wanted this unit until I started looking at cold smoking. With an A-Maze-N-Smoker http://www.amazenproducts.com/ you can cold smoke because you are using the unit to make heat just to hold smoke and your product. I have smoked cheese and it is great. Have to keep the temperature below 90 degrees F for cheese.

View attachment 571399

thanks for the heads up on the deck... i was seriously looking at the composite stuff, but now i dont know if its worth it.. my wood deck has held up better than that over the past decade with the only complaint being the need to strip and restain and seal every other year. (hence the reason i wanted to replace it...)

Awe smoked food, nothing better.

I have 2 smokers; one I built called an ugly drum smoker, it uses hardwood charcoal. Cooks a lot of meat if needed.
The other is Masterbuilt Electric. Never wanted this unit until I started looking at cold smoking. With an A-Maze-N-Smoker http://www.amazenproducts.com/ you can cold smoke because you are using the unit to make heat just to hold smoke and your product. I have smoked cheese and it is great. Have to keep the temperature below 90 degrees F for cheese.

ive got the cheap masterbuilt electric and added the smoke tube (similiar to the amazen on ) and load with pellets and smoke for hours

thanks for the heads up on the deck... i was seriously looking at the composite stuff, but now i dont know if its worth it.. my wood deck has held up better than that over the past decade with the only complaint being the need to strip and restain and seal every other year. (hence the reason i wanted to replace it...)

We ended up getting 4 estimates on the deck and here is what we learned

- The deck we have is a mix of wood & plastic. It seems contractors around here are not installing that anymore because of all the problems it causes. Ours was also installed by the builder which probably indicates it was the cheapest choice at the time.

- When you get an estimate, head over to contractortalk.com to see what the pros are saying about the product your company wants to install

- pvc and vinyl seem like they might be solid choices and some companies are offering 25 year warranties that even include fading which is important especially if you have a SW exposure like I do

- If you can find a contractor willing to install Ipe, that stuff looks awesome. It's a Brazilian hardwood that you don't have to stain if you're ok with the weathered look. You can find stories online about this stuff standing up for 75+ years. The problem is since it's so hard it's also hard to work with so if you find a contractor who will do it, be prepared to pay extra for labor

- We are leaning toward a product by a company called Deckorators. It includes the 25 year warranty and even waterproofing for the area below. We're waiting on the final numbers but his rough estimate looks like it's actually going to be the lowest cost for the best deck and it includes the best warranty. Getting multiple quotes is a must!

I'm a little late to the party here, but I made my "Little Brown Egg" for $35 15 years ago out of Flower Pots. Today it would probably cost $50 or $60. I have owned 4 commercial smokers and it is by far the best one of the batch. Someone offered to give me a Pellet Smoker and I turned it down. My Flower Pots have about an 3/16" crust inside and it is almost as set it and forget it as it gets.

In fact I converted the Cabella's 7 in 1 smoker to a Pizza Oven after using it for ribs. Way to much attendance needed and the Ribs didn't turn out as good. The Flower Pot Pizza Oven Works GREAT though.

Another vote for the pitbarrel. Not too much of a learning curve, and does not need too much baby sitting. The only downside that I can see with it, is that it is hard to get it to cook lower than 250°.

I'm a little late to the party here, but I made my "Little Brown Egg" for $35 15 years ago out of Flower Pots. Today it would probably cost $50 or $60. I have owned 4 commercial smokers and it is by far the best one of the batch. Someone offered to give me a Pellet Smoker and I turned it down. My Flower Pots have about an 3/16" crust inside and it is almost as set it and forget it as it gets.

In fact I converted the Cabella's 7 in 1 smoker to a Pizza Oven after using it for ribs. Way to much attendance needed and the Ribs didn't turn out as good. The Flower Pot Pizza Oven Works GREAT though.

Now you can't make a post like this without showing some pictures of this creation!

Back