Seeking Advice on Which Smoker to Get - Newby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I really want to get into smoking but I know I will want something that I don't have to babysit a lot, something that gets great results and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I have been considering an electric, and I know they can produce some yummy food, but I'm concerned with some of the things I've read regarding not getting a good smoke, can be slow (especially in winter).

On the flip side there's the BGE. Would love to get one but the cost is more than I want to pony up for right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have owned three smokers. One bullet charcoal smoker, one cabinet smoker that's electric and charcoal. Then one I have now is a gas cabinet smoker. This last one is the most I had ever spent on a smoker. $150.

If I was to do it over, I'd buy a pellet fed smoker. My local Walmart has them. Not sure on the brand. It's all electric, you fill the hopper with pellets, set the temp (it's digital), let it heat up and drop food on it. It's a like an oven that smokes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss...5035&wl11=online&wl12=374371411&wl13=&veh=sem

I picked up a propane 2 door cabinet smoker with 4 levels for under $200 a few years back. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, and it has a ton of room inside which is great for larger gatherings. After being beaten in the Columbia sun over the last few years it still works great, but my burner is starting to rust through. I don't know if that's typical for cabinet smokers or I just got lucky. Depending on the weather it can take a few tries to get the flame exactly right but generally it's pretty set and forget.

If you end up going the ceramic cooker route, there are options other than a BGE. Kamando, Broil King, Louisiana Grills all have ceramic options, though I can't vouch for their quality.

EDIT: I found an old thread where I asked the same question and got some great advice
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/first-timer-looking-for-a-smoker.478448/

I have owned three smokers. One bullet charcoal smoker, one cabinet smoker that's electric and charcoal. Then one I have now is a gas cabinet smoker. This last one is the most I had ever spent on a smoker. $150.

If I was to do it over, I'd buy a pellet fed smoker. My local Walmart has them. Not sure on the brand. It's all electric, you fill the hopper with pellets, set the temp (it's digital), let it heat up and drop food on it. It's a like an oven that smokes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss...5035&wl11=online&wl12=374371411&wl13=&veh=sem

Do you think the 340" is a good size? The majority of the time I would be cooking for 2-6 people, sometimes 8 and extremely rare for more.

Do you think the 340" is a good size? The majority of the time I would be cooking for 2-6 people, sometimes 8 and extremely rare for more.

It would be for me. I rarely have people over for dinner that's more than 5. I typically don't fill the smoker full of meat just to freeze as others do. I rather have it fresh.

I would go look at them. I saw these at Wal-Mart. They weren't out of the box yet. I imagine some places will have display models built by now.

The one I posted above is for tailgating. It was just one to show you the type of smoker. The hopper box attached to a grill compartment. My smoker is a cabinet with 6 shelves, almost like a gun safe.

I'm smoking grain in this picture.

20180405_203709.jpeg
20180405_201743.jpeg

I have a Weber smoky mountain. Around $100. The small one 18" I think. It works fine but needs a little babysitting. I don't mind I make a day of it but it might not be for you. I would get the bigger model if I were feeding more than 4

Ok... A lot to unpack here. What do you want this for? Just smoking? Grilling? Roasting? Baking? Pizza oven?

For your first smoker, the easiest and cheapest options are electric or propane. Those are smokers you don't need to constantly babysit to get good results. You can get plenty of smoke flavor with electric, BTW. You won't get a "smoke ring" with electric, but you'll get flavor. I started with a Masterbuilt 40" propane smoker that I bought for about $150, and the main reason I got it over the electrics was capacity. Most of the electrics are not as wide or large. But both options are great for learning.

If you want something BGE-style but don't want to pay those prices, pick up a Char-Griller Akorn. It's every bit as good functionally as the more expensive ceramic kamado grills. Being metal, it has the chance that it might eventually have rust problems, and I've heard their build quality may not be at BGE levels. But for the price, you get a great Kamado. FYI I say that as someone with two Kamado Joe's, one Big Joe and one Joe Jr. I have no disdain for the Akorn as a "cheap knockoff"; the Akorn is a solid grill at a great price point. The learning curve of a kamado is steeper than an electric or propane smoker, but they're also more versatile. You can sear the hell out of a steak. You can use it as a pizza oven.

I like the idea of a pellet smoker if you already have another grill (for searing) and if you're okay spending the money. They're definitely "set and forget" and will produce good food. But again, typically the starting price point is a lot higher, especially if you want to be cooking larger quantities of food -- you can fit more in a typical "box-style" electric or propane smoker than the smaller, less expensive pellet grills. And when you start getting into the bigger pellet grills, you get up into the $700-1000 range. And they still can't sear. That said, a good pellet grill is a long-term purchase, whereas an electric or propane smoker might be a "learning tool" smoker; at least it was for me.

What you probably want to avoid are cheap offset smokers. The build quality usually leaves a LOT to be desired, they are hard to temp control and both get a hot enough fire to burn off volatile compounds while also not getting the cooking chamber well over the desired temp. And you'll have to babysit them constantly. I know the allure of "cooking with a stickburner" is strong, but IMHO it's not worth it at these price points.

I started off on a cheap Brinkmann which I upgraded to a WSM in less than a year. They're both vertical water smokers but the quality of the Weber is definitely worth the extra cost. I happily smoked on the Weber for 10 years and it was nearly as good as new even after being left in the weather all that time. You can upgrade the water pan to a larger one that won't dry out during overnight smokes. The only problem you may have is holding temperature overnight during cold weather. It takes a bit to get the hang of but you'll find that you can control smoking temps with reasonable accuracy and even get it up to 350-400F for a ridiculously great turkey during the holidays. There is also a really handy website for that smoker:http://virtualweberbullet.com/

A few years ago I wanted to automate the process more so I took the plunge on a pellet smoker. I'm very happy with it but as others have mentioned, the price point is considerably higher.

If you're just looking to get into smoking with great results at a reasonable price point, you really can't go wrong with the WSM. Get a charcoal chimney to go along with it. For your first use, do an overnight smoke using the minion method on a pork butt with your favorite rub and a few wood chunks. Pork butt is a very forgiving cut as it is and it always comes out awesome on the WSM. Also, unless you plan on feeding huge crowds frequently, go with the 18.5" and resist the temptation to go big with the 22". Not only does the larger one use more fuel, having a full chamber helps retain moisture so unless you actually need the space, you'll get better results with the smaller version.

Ok... A lot to unpack here. What do you want this for? Just smoking? Grilling? Roasting? Baking? Pizza oven?

I plan to use it for just smoking. I have a Weber gas grill that I use for grilling. Convenient and I use it almost daily.

For your first smoker, the easiest and cheapest options are electric or propane. Those are smokers you don't need to constantly babysit to get good results. You can get plenty of smoke flavor with electric, BTW. You won't get a "smoke ring" with electric, but you'll get flavor. I started with a Masterbuilt 40" propane smoker that I bought for about $150, and the main reason I got it over the electrics was capacity. Most of the electrics are not as wide or large. But both options are great for learning.

If you want something BGE-style but don't want to pay those prices, pick up a Char-Griller Akorn. It's every bit as good functionally as the more expensive ceramic kamado grills. Being metal, it has the chance that it might eventually have rust problems, and I've heard their build quality may not be at BGE levels. But for the price, you get a great Kamado. FYI I say that as someone with two Kamado Joe's, one Big Joe and one Joe Jr. I have no disdain for the Akorn as a "cheap knockoff"; the Akorn is a solid grill at a great price point. The learning curve of a kamado is steeper than an electric or propane smoker, but they're also more versatile. You can sear the hell out of a steak. You can use it as a pizza oven.

I like the idea of a pellet smoker if you already have another grill (for searing) and if you're okay spending the money. They're definitely "set and forget" and will produce good food. But again, typically the starting price point is a lot higher, especially if you want to be cooking larger quantities of food -- you can fit more in a typical "box-style" electric or propane smoker than the smaller, less expensive pellet grills. And when you start getting into the bigger pellet grills, you get up into the $700-1000 range. And they still can't sear. That said, a good pellet grill is a long-term purchase, whereas an electric or propane smoker might be a "learning tool" smoker; at least it was for me.

What you probably want to avoid are cheap offset smokers. The build quality usually leaves a LOT to be desired, they are hard to temp control and both get a hot enough fire to burn off volatile compounds while also not getting the cooking chamber well over the desired temp. And you'll have to babysit them constantly. I know the allure of "cooking with a stickburner" is strong, but IMHO it's not worth it at these price points.

Is the Pit Boss a decent pellet smoker?

I definitely want to go for the good smoke ring.

I started off on a cheap Brinkmann which I upgraded to a WSM in less than a year. They're both vertical water smokers but the quality of the Weber is definitely worth the extra cost. I happily smoked on the Weber for 10 years and it was nearly as good as new even after being left in the weather all that time. You can upgrade the water pan to a larger one that won't dry out during overnight smokes. The only problem you may have is holding temperature overnight during cold weather. It takes a bit to get the hang of but you'll find that you can control smoking temps with reasonable accuracy and even get it up to 350-400F for a ridiculously great turkey during the holidays. There is also a really handy website for that smoker:http://virtualweberbullet.com/

A few years ago I wanted to automate the process more so I took the plunge on a pellet smoker. I'm very happy with it but as others have mentioned, the price point is considerably higher.

If you're just looking to get into smoking with great results at a reasonable price point, you really can't go wrong with the WSM. Get a charcoal chimney to go along with it. For your first use, do an overnight smoke using the minion method on a pork butt with your favorite rub and a few wood chunks. Pork butt is a very forgiving cut as it is and it always comes out awesome on the WSM. Also, unless you plan on feeding huge crowds frequently, go with the 18.5" and resist the temptation to go big with the 22". Not only does the larger one use more fuel, having a full chamber helps retain moisture so unless you actually need the space, you'll get better results with the smaller version.

Which pellet smoker do you have?

If cost is not a factor, look at the Stumps. I have one and it's great. But they are not cheap $2k+. These are gravity fed smokers. If you get a BBQ Guru or similar you can set and forget it the entire cook. There are other manufacturers who make gravity fed smokers. Cost and quality vary.

I also have a Bubba Keg, similar to the BGE but is made of steel. They are cheaper than the BGE and don't have to worry about cracks.
If you go the ceramic route, check out the Grilla Grills ceramic cooker. They also have some pellet smokers. I almost pulled the trigger on one of their pellet smokers but I really dont need another at this time. But if i need to replace my BGE i'll probably get their ceramic cooker.

Which pellet smoker do you have?

Mak 1-star. I wouldn't recommend starting with it just like I wouldn't recommend getting into homebrewing with a Sabco brew-magic. You want to be sure it's something you're going to enjoy and do often.

The pellet is easier to use and maintain than something like the WSM but you can turn out equally good meat on either of them.

I don't have any experience with the Kamado's but I know that would be an upgrade from the WSM with a slightly higher price tag and others who own them love them. From what I gather, you can do a pizza at 700F+ on those bad boys too which would be really cool. If I was looking in the ~$500 range, I would definitely give those a hard look.

I plan to use it for just smoking. I have a Weber gas grill that I use for grilling. Convenient and I use it almost daily.

If you already have a grill that you like, I recommend getting a dedicated smoker.

I neglected to mention the WSM. That's a VERY popular smoker, well made, and well-loved. Like a Kamado there will be a learning curve, but I'd call it a very good dedicated smoker.

Is the Pit Boss a decent pellet smoker?

I definitely want to go for the good smoke ring.

I worry about low-cost pellet grills, to be honest. I read Amazing Ribs' review of their Deluxe model, and despite being higher-end relative to other Pit Boss models, they had concerns about temperature swings and some interesting "quirks" in the controller. And frankly if what you're looking it is purely going to be a smoker, you don't really need a pellet grill to do that. Pellet grills are multi-function items. But it won't grill as well as your Weber does, and you can probably put out equally well-smoked food on the Pit Boss as you could on a propane or WSM.

that's odd....the meat coming out of my electric says otherwise...

As per the original question, torpedo style are a pain in the ass and overpriced as hell.
I'm also against pellet types (and Bradly for that matter) because you are married to pellets (or pucks).
The Traeger ones have the usual multi tasker issues....kinda ok at a couple things, not great at anything...also married to pellets

I have an old version of this: http://masterbuilt.com/product/mb20072918-digital-electric-smoker
and have done damn near everything: fish to turkey to pork to beef...have even smoked jalapeños and made chipotle powder

My advice:
-get an electric or gas, because while the whole burning wood thing is romantic, most of us don't have the time to babysit one, much less learn how to do it right.
-don't get one where you are married to a specific wood consumable. mine can use chips/chunks/pellets/sawdust
-get one with a probe built in
-you don't need a window
-get one that you can set at 100* so you can use it for pre smoke drying and cold-ish smoking things like cheese

I currently have a Green Mountain Grills Daniel Boone pellet smoker and Can not say enough good things about it. You get a lot of bang for your $$$. I've had it for just over 2 years and use it at least a couple times a month and it works as good today as the day I bought it.
Easy to operate, easy to clean and puts out some mighty tasty "Q"
I started out with one of the old bullet electric water smokers, then upgraded to the masterbuilt electric and finally discovered the GMG Smokers. For set it and forget it smoking a pellet can not be beat IMO

I did about 6 months of research before buying a 22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain.
It's not all that cheap...$399.

The base of the WSM can also double as a grill.

Modifications are all over the net. I mounted mine on a dolly and added a 3rd grate. Currently mulling around about adding a 4th.

I also use a DigiQ DX2 Temperature Controller which pretty much takes the babysitting (vent controlling) out of the equation.

While less labor intensive electric smokers have a draw the element burns out in about 3 years. Some may be longer, but 3 years seems to be the average. Sadly, they are NOT replaceable.

I have a Green Mountain Grill, Daniel Boone model. It’s a pellet smoker and I friggin love it. I bought it a few years ago for about 370. At the time they were selling for 550. I got the old model that did not have Bluetooth.
It truly is set and forget. I used to have a propane cabinet style smoker and it was decent but you really have to babysit it for hours to maintain a steady temp.

With little ones at the house, the pellet smoker rules. There is no way I could dedicate a half day to smoking meat anymore.

I can put a brisket in at midnight and wrap it at 6 or 7 am.
A few hours later, pull it from grill and let it rest. By lunchtime, we are feasting on brisket.
If you shop around, you can get the 20lb bags of pellets for 10 bucks. Most meats will only take so many hours of absorbing smoke, so sometimes I will wrap pork butts or brisket and finish in oven to save pellets.

I was eating at a bbq joint once and we were talking about smokers. The owner overheard us and said, “get a pellet smoker. So much easier”. He was using a huge barrel smoker.

We have a Weber Bullet, 18 inch. I use charcoal or wood for chicken and pork. For fish, jerky and whatnot I just use a cheap hot plate in the bottom with a small cast iron skillet for the chips. Been sitting outside for over 10 years and besides the racks needing replaced periodically it is in pretty good shape.

Hey Folks,
I really want to get into smoking but I know I will want something that I don't have to babysit a lot, something that gets great results and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I have been considering an electric, and I know they can produce some yummy food, but I'm concerned with some of the things I've read regarding not getting a good smoke, can be slow (especially in winter).

On the flip side there's the BGE. Would love to get one but the cost is more than I want to pony up for right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I got the Pit Barrel Cooker a couple of years ago. I think it was $299 when I bought it. I looked at the Weber Smokey Mountain as well but I’ve been very happy with the PBC. It’s extremely idiot proof. You basically set a damper based on your altitude then you really never worry about temperature control again. I’ve yet to have a bad result with it.

Camp Chef Woodwind pellet smoker here. Get yourself the propane sear box attachment with it and you'll never want anything else. Has some great features built in, it really is set and forget. You can thank me later.

I bought a Bradley 4 rack electric smoker from Amazon a few years ago. It works well and you do not have to babysit it. This is my first smoker and I see no reason for me to get anything else. It uses the pressed wood pucks and auto feeds a new puck every 20 minutes. I like that I can unplug the heating element and still get good smoke for chesses and vegies. Bradley also makes a 6 rack if you want a larger one. The 4 rack suites us just fine. I can load it up with brined salmon and have plenty for days. It will hold a couple racks of ribs or a brisket just fine. Check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FJZ150/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I've owned a couple of smokers. GET A BRADLEY ELECTRIC SMOKER. They may seem expensive but I've gone through more masterbuilt smokers than the Bradley costs. Not to mention the Bradley smokes way better. You can cold smoke, low temp smoke, no smoke, your choice. You won't regret it.

I have a Weber smoky mountain. Around $100. The small one 18" I think. It works fine but needs a little babysitting. I don't mind I make a day of it but it might not be for you. I would get the bigger model if I were feeding more than 4
Ive had two WSMs and I'd echo this. They need a little baby sitting, But they're less expensive then the BGEs or equivalent, and produce tasty results. You can take away some of the baby sitting with fans and controllers like I've done, but that's adding cost.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Home Brew mobile app

Ive had two WSMs and I'd echo this. They need a little baby sitting

I love my Weber WSM, and I don't agree with the babysitting comments. I have a bluetooth thermometer that temps the meat and smoker temps. Once its stabilized it will hold a temp for a very long time. If you use the "Minion Method" to light the coals you can be very successful with long low and slow smokes. I've done several overnight smokes with it. Thermometer has hi/low alarms, so even if I needed to mess with the temp it would wake me up.

I think it just takes a little honing and figuring out the ins and outs, like anything else. It's charcoal, it holds temps, and I would say it requires minimal babysitting for not having any temp controller...

Check out this site: http://virtualweberbullet.com
Its geared towards WSMs but its a great resource for smoking...

I see a lot of recommendations for cabenit smokers, which may be what you are going for. If you are wanting to go a bit more pitmaster style, the Char Griller Competition pro is a wonderful and durable unit. It requires a little sealant at attachment points, but I can do a 20lb brisket and a few whole chickens without a problem.

Alternatively, for water smokers, Brinkman makes a pretty good bullet style smoker that you can get for about 70 bucks for the charcoal version.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Home Brew mobile app

Another vote for the Weber WSM. The porcelain coated steel will last many years which justifies the upfront cost. I'm not a fan of pellet, electric or propane for grilling/smoking so the WSM is ideal for me. I use the minion method for the charcoal and I get stable temps without readjusting the vents over a 6 hour burn (bottom vents 1/3 open and top vent full open).

If you are looking for a BBQ pit style smoker, I can highly recommend the Pit Barrel Cooker. Had mine two years now and it makes great BBQ with very little fussing during cooking.

The Pit Barrel Cooker is not a cold smoker though. It's not for making smoked cheese, fish, jerky or things like that.

Don't knock the wood-smoker. Babysitting can be a good thing at times.

"I'm really sorry Sweetie, but I just can't go to that annoying thing with the blah whatever blah blah. I have to watch this smoker and drink beer all day if you want the brisket by 5 for dinner..."

It is work though, I plan a wood smoke to start 60-90 min in advance so heat is ready. If I'm lazy, I'll start with natural lump charcoal - 40# bag for under $20 at a local store then add wood for temp stability.

I picked my old 1/4in O.K. Joe off Craigslist for cheap from someone who hardly used. Let them take the hit on price.

I have the entry level Masterbuilt electric smoker.

It's produced great results and other than adding in a smoking tube (amazon for $10) to use with pellets (second pic its the mesh thing in the bottom rakc... And the annoying thermometer being off by 20 degrees (i just take that into account). It does hold temp as can be seen in the pics of me smoking in the winter... I did a pork butt for over 8 hours and didn't have an issue keeping temps

If i were to do it over i would get the next model up with the electronic control and the side load smoker tube which would make my life easier. The factory smoker boxes on many only hold enough pellets or chips to keep smoke up for an hour or two before refilling..

The tubes and ring style for pellets keep smoke up for 4 to 6 hours or more.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masterbuil...-Common-41-157-in-Actual-41-157-in/1000291955

LsJS0coYk2EucXaYMDJOHGx7-uilP_VT3r2s7JICH4Z1gLuISeiXTewDCCEJWrbAfb8lAWVBsskOwnovtnLYhMIJtofgI66c6j9qyGnCkJE9rGAe-O-98H34oXxX4HpSkfdRJqDpYDex2ex0e0XP9BQn2E5vMjE3CbqAAImIQtQIypK3Rw-ZfkGmgaOQ0KMv4aAExE-w3Xk31awWbNTC4jtRZfGEvVrUgZsNtKFLWZScaKVOFTyryeChN9GlJpI0RXFI8BozO5pZYYxmtPF68PL_FgehtDzGvKp3Ff9cmDW8Kg3HNnmQgvAAK2gMQhMEj9Nf1ehdxLVDBJjgNP3NwHIKy46N8xKkIVywkjXCVp4C19ppEa0fLRZs5YPTZjlWeLe_vg-Iq05N-3cC4UlhnFY6SzcfBMVV_tCK8vIdMsE7kAEIxHQsvlTaoVAlyaKbzVthLEMDOSTilHsRI4xta41vgnxyNc6Gvg4GmUlCJ4mmPojCLloQJMRS-GwmCcT1b4_s-i38RC4QmsUGaCn8jporJgEGA0rvoLKS8_mvTajCvriy0XMbHMSMrHqXoLtisGWfMOc5NBRD_NMhL8BFT-tujBDKOtzkolCkYVrK=w712-h949-no

PSczRRH-EQuPm1v1qUmnIW0haWv9iUJXq9chpUR9Sc866wWZAe-7w8_IIx1MibFejqOn5HetxjgOegZ3ApdqtPRqbnnD77JPTNWuB2JqDYE--JvFJlsuy-8eDaHO-evmkBGPbBY_lta0ZKdoALgtaUplvQHgDBOjxgYieA4dAlNLcesDYAYT1zsJYidM7fGt58haXiZTaZcZ26w_JoUsBXEU_eI0oQiSydXU6LVroiMzOq3M57JkGk2ttT79_VDQ2I-pOVGf8kHYBEj9uW4i3SVgzQi6VFUVqfe03stnwvQGkjF8o2FYftvM-3LZHaNBsIJUTwwyDbMAhI-RfNndbdT4km1jX8Sz1plsHVd-thPWfUKe1AIL7lmMy5PRPH_bPvBVMrq2qwKtRXvQ29Ris4Gn8zuIQCTKy5oIxbO5UAhhE8L01Ma8tR0wN4QOceH_5rNejqtMCVODSHXSEG6vduzLCj5T0u9YGtkMFBZ9PYn47U7sLOy3fYyIljlNc4MH6dAYWwae6lHTmp7me2lVxWJtO3fjvafTxoPCQx2UoiL7dGhQqOhBJH__ANinaNC6gjQOpMqSOLH7Vq1XSuMAz-iMoiQLEmhvXytgvLXr=w712-h949-no

Sva_F5ap9D_4-jez7UHqoGZIuJC0eUWuIA5BSX-SB87kfY3S5WN_igWZTWqDJmd1ez3CS-6nrknXWc5kvpJmL0IDLJkU6m14XwTVKWmw9cJeE-9jx2z9YmVnIOSqFGUQh2C-jLSIIzgWOfB1YM5vQ4FmEvEV1qGlKkMjOS_yAD5j4RUPBP5fAI5VoRf-VgtywlxSUJIv9hCu6tCd7_v0tJ39iXQP63yPNTQW5wiiXXPA9cATUZkKFJeGPQhiT8cv_oEPcvRoy8SopTerZ1Jm-U22HxH57bQSVKBZvt99rfV3ON8kX2f0_xVMJzTqZwsRuHPbBgMZ60SZu_juNtgszlFf1taA6y8EjKf9VPU09GbLIrhMykv83VBDwsmPr84PnHMhO0HDA_uXAiXMGgFusAPC0xvwMPjjoHKEA6K0iZT7qrJwKtfhYhLyoR-usOmBIKHqI_rFA8zIlrAkw1AbBMzfACiPOAO93RH1cSq_SoZEKpKkdyVDBBNwpY-tdeIzB_N1fSsIp6ZDu2c9HghJsOSYUrIKchD4CbkFvrAM3Ixh5asznWMmXwWZ9l5aN58xIlc_xDfNlvHqvp3Il07TaCpNngHvmLxDHtmlWK-a=w712-h949-no

58xNglD2tRcjolP04tuIyJrMugUn8c4vlPonBgY_BXyWKSBZOUPdQDZvEV9i1CzPMp39daQlYccK0YvOn8CL453hucbMEqEThWrzL_ggFycT_bsaLpcIo8IfLuWyR6dqV90bjCNF6LoBHix2Z92UukadvdRpB-9JKnZqUVG4mZ66ytx2X8Gt0xDXbBjPJBqGAqOLm3zta1jRXIn9VC0QflYK6QDiKm3eBM96hlm6mZRy8OrUCz7AVTux8eqEiDtQVv2gfhmlvmys3QKg49ZkrAQxVZ4Gm3Sxss9n1myQN6TIS0W7tQ6cK1LdfwIdoS5zi0jdO5F9mWFvGfeMtx8x9VU7cekwNjxD1J5FccPwsSBh4PlMruTmumDOnJgnlbCQFU64gjOsWDnmTLj-N3KMHexQpqQ6xXwhJJzsy0uRuyBHjcLir2AEf92Vux27a9VRMKIknhKn6rD16-QDReap3w_ai308sLEkQHc8Z5r5L0ogOr0Y6K-VhrgKaTgqt6RyoNYhVK-8aILig48Aj0RIlc63UWqMyMBxPMBTBfKJcc-hZ4n-tdkXAtOW8bg2prw7gCzJ8CggUBl0mto_GhQGqvKe81FBFkib8m8eCgwE=w712-h949-no

I love my Weber WSM, and I don't agree with the babysitting comments. I have a bluetooth thermometer that temps the meat and smoker temps. Once its stabilized it will hold a temp for a very long time. If you use the "Minion Method" to light the coals you can be very successful with long low and slow smokes. I've done several overnight smokes with it. Thermometer has hi/low alarms, so even if I needed to mess with the temp it would wake me up.

I think it just takes a little honing and figuring out the ins and outs, like anything else. It's charcoal, it holds temps, and I would say it requires minimal babysitting for not having any temp controller...

Check out this site: http://virtualweberbullet.com
Its geared towards WSMs but its a great resource for smoking...
I do use the minion method, and I'm probably thinking back to my original 18" the 22.5" I've had a lot better luck with it holding temp. That might also be a result from switching to the nature's own charcoal too. Who knows. I'll also hold up my hand and admit I'm one of those guys who's a bit too detail oriented and I don't like a lot of variation in my temps (read, I'm anal about this **** :) )

In short, love my WSMs and I love my geeky hobbies of built temp controllers

Weber Smokey mountain (WSM) all the way. I have one and it was the best money ever spent. Grab an inkbird wireless temp monitor for it and you'e off to the races. The learning curve isn't that steep.

The unit has been around since God was a child, as such there are a lot of resources available. Most recipes on Amazing Ribs have wsm specifics as well.

My first smoker was built from an old refrigerator back in the 1980's when smoking anything was a major commitment of time and used to involve a lot of alcohol. But after the wife and kids came along both free time and alcohol have fallen a few rungs down the ladder of priorities. So I've been using a Bradley Electric smoker for about 15 yrs. I can't imagine going back to tending to a smoker for hours on end.

My first smoker was built from an old refrigerator back in the 1980's when smoking anything was a major commitment of time and used to involve a lot of alcohol. But after the wife and kids came along both free time and alcohol have fallen a few rungs down the ladder of priorities. So I've been using a Bradley Electric smoker for about 15 yrs. I can't imagine going back to tending to a smoker for hours on end.
Some people just want a legitimate excuse to sit with a beer and watch the temp gauge as the smoke rolls out of the smoker.

Have to have the tunes jammin' too.

Send the wife shopping....

The kids are pacified with their tablets playing Minecraft....

Some people just want a legitimate excuse to sit with a beer and watch the temp gauge as the smoke rolls out of the smoker.

Have to have the tunes jammin' too.

Send the wife shopping....

The kids are pacified with their tablets playing Minecraft....
Maybe for now, but time may full circle on you. Imagine teachig your kids the art of the smoke once they get a bit older. The father-son times that can be spent with the bonding of a brew&smoke day.

Maybe for now, but time may full circle on you. Imagine teachig your kids the art of the smoke once they get a bit older. The father-son times that can be spent with the bonding of a brew&smoke day.
Little OT.

Yeah, at their age it's not primary interest. I get them involved in making foods they like, but the attention span is short. Limited to easy crock pot pasta and chili.

Not to mention my wife doesn't like food centric entertainment. She's always watching her weight, doesn't like thinking about food. She is like her mother, hates cooking and is a reheater. Prepackaged foods is all they buy. Whereas I only buy raw meats, vegges, fruit and etc.

I do it because I like it, love to obsess over the cooking process. I will say some degree, alone time is good. There's only so much reality TV I can watch without going insane.

I have two residences 3 hours apart. Basically for work. I brew and smoke at the work place. Where the other is all family time.

Back