Seeking a Alesmith Wee Heavy Clone Recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really. Once I've got some more experience I'm going to do everything I can to clone their ESB and IPA. Their ESB is my favorite beer, ever, I think. I haven't seen a clone for any of their beers yet. Keep us posted.

They have/had guidlines for evil dead red on their website and also (i think) in one of papazian's books. Other than that I have never seen recipies for any of their beers. At least that could give you an idea of the house yeast strain they use.

I wouldn't be exact...but starting with a blend of marris otter and standard british pale ale (maybe 60/40) as your base....then coming in with 5% aromatic, 1-2% special b, and 1% (or less) of a really high lovi roasted barley or even chocolate malt....mash the base malt seperatey at 156-158, while it mashes, make a tea with your fully converted malts, and add this directly to the kettle....then lauter out your first runnings into the kettle and really carmelize the thick wort, and cook it right down. Then boil the rest maybe 90 minutes and do a single hop addition of something clean and noble...ekg or nb aim for 25 ibus...add no hops inside 40 minutes and ferment 65 degrees with edinburgh ale yeast. I think the key here is carmelize your malts but don't extract tannins from roasted barley and special b in the mash, the other key is finish high, you need a high OG and a high mash temp...1.15 down to 1.028 or something like that

Back