Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infidell2space

Reaction score
We added some mashed blueberries to our apple cider after the primary fermentation. The sediment is so fine and light that it won’t settle out, the glass carboy is half full of sediment. We tried to strain it through cheesecloth, clogs it right up, makes a mess. Does anyone have some advice? It be much appreciated.

More info needed: Did you transfer to a secondary fermenter or add fruit to the primary? Are you bottling or kegging?

For my ciders I use a glass carboy for the primary and a corney keg for the secondary which I add my fruit (blueberries or cherries).
From the secondary I transfer to another corney keg leaving the fruit behind. I also use This filter to leave the fruit in the secondary.
I suspect that adding fruit to a glass carboy would make it difficult to clean out.
From my experience when the final keg chills in the kegerator, the first few glasses show sediment but it clears afterwards.

Try a fining agent to get it to floculate. Bentonite, KC Super Kleer or gelatin. Then give it time. It will often settle out over a few weeks.

This is a bit of "shutting the stable door" advice, but I have taken to putting fruit etc in a giant tea bag (available from eBay here in Oz). Works a bit like the above filter and makes it easy to get the fruit pulp etc out of the fermenter.

For fruit enhanced cider, rather than a carboy, I use a 5 litre (one gallon) glass preserving container with a clip-on large flip top lid (again, through eBay but I expect that Amazon would have something similar and I have seen plastic versions, not here in Oz, sadly). A one inch diamond hole saw easily makes a hole in the glass lid for a bubbler.

Back