Sediment on top of carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thony14

Reaction score
This has been fermenting for a few days now, It was fermenting like crazy yesterday and i had to put on a blow off valve. well the fermentation has slowed leaving all the sediment from the foam stuck to the top. Is this bad. What are you thoughts on this?
Thank you

photoon20110125at0005.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

No problem. (Poor yeast that got stranded in the foam and stuck on the glass are likely to dehydrate. But its brothers and sistered get more of the wort for themselves.)

pretty standard, I have two that are fermenting in the same condition right now. The only bad thing is it makes it difficult to see :p

That is why Billy Mays invented oxi clean, and then safeway made a cheaper generic version.

Yup its fine to leave that stuff there. Just try to not swirl that stuff back into the beer since it supposedly provides harsh and bitter flavors

Nothing to worry about; in fact, this ought to happen! It's called krausen and is basically just a head of yeast due to fermentation.

It looks like your krausen is creeping up the neck of your carboy. Some people invest in a blow off tube system that basically swaps out the airlock for a sealed vinyl tube that lets the krausen travel through it and into a bucket. Just in case you run into trouble, you can MacGyver a blow off system with some vinyl tubing and what you have in that picture.

That's not krausen, but the remnants of krausen - it's brown hefe and it is perfectly normal consisting of spent hops, yeast, and proteins. Bigjuicy is correct - you want to avoid getting any of that in the beer when you siphon out of the carboy given that it is very bitter.

I would be worried if it didn't look like that... it's completely normal.

I had a question concerning the same issue. I don't have a pic but it looks very similar to the above. I have a 4.5-4.75 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket; very little headspace. But I do have a blowoff attached to a large mason jar w/ sanitizer.
About 12 hrs after pitching, it was undergoing vigorous fermentation with krausen being pushed out of the sides and into the jar. Last night I've noticed a good 1/4 inch layer of sediment (like above) in the bottom of my mason jar.
With very little headspace in the bucket, and a good sediment layer in the jar, is it possible that most yeast was expelled? I'll give it a few days for a SG test but wanted to put it out there for anyone else

Some people even try to remove this layer from their beer to improve the taste, so it's a good thing that it's stuck to the top, and not in your beer.

I made the mistake of thinking it was yeast and swirled it back into the cyser, will it settle to the bottom or did I wreck my brew?

Latest posts

Back