sediment left from wit fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williec30

Reaction score
i racked from a fermentation bucked into a keg last night... i know that wit's are supposed to be hazy in nature, but something didn't seem right. when i got near the bottom of the bucket (1 gallon remaining) the beer went from cloudy as i would have expected, to yeast sludge. at this point, there was 1 gallon of liquid in the bucket and it was thick.

did i leave the beer too long, as to let too much yeast fall (it was in primary for 2 weeks)? or is this expected?

this was my first AG wit... i am unfamiliar with the normal outcome of fermentation.

2 weeks is not to long, some people leave their stuff in primary for a month or more. The gunk at the bottom is trub, it is coagulated proteins from the cold and hot breaks, as well as floculated yeast, its normal.

After seeing 17 looks but no reply I thought I was going to be first to reply. But yeah, that seems pretty normal for mine. That is why I use the secondary method with those beers but what you did is fine if you siphon off the top, either way you have to deal with that stuff.

trub... right, thank you... brain is fried today.

the big surprise for me was that there was a gallon of trub left. never had a solid gallon left over before (5 gallon batches).

trub... right, thank you... brain is fried today.

the big surprise for me was that there was a gallon of trub left. never had a solid gallon left over before (5 gallon batches).

I do a beer with Shredded Wheat cereal; you should see the junk left over from that stuff. Makes a good beer though.

Back